DjangoBooks.com

Schertler amps?

ihscoutihscout California,Bay Area Ald la brune
Hello,does anyone have any thoughts/opinions
On schertler amps,
How does an ischell pickup sound through it?
Also,which models are the ones to check out?
Thanks

Comments

• Michael BauerMichael Bauer Chicago, ILProdigy Selmers, Busatos and more…oh my!
    Sorry I didn't see this sooner. I used an Ischell Inside Box/Schertler Unico combination for the past year and a half as my gigging rig. I just sold both to a friend, but only because our band is playing in louder venues of late, and the other guitarist switched to a Krivo/Fender combination, and it was a simpler rig to set up, and easier for the rest of us to hear him on stage in a loud club than with the Ischell/Schertler combination. So I switched to a Krivo single coil through a Fender Prosonic (albeit modded out).

The Schertler Unico has a very warm, natural sound, and once I figured out how to dial in the tone on it, it sounded great. The only downside for me was that the tone is more directional than the Fender, so at clubs where the sound man wasn't top shelf, it was tougher for my bandmates to hear me. That's not good when you are the rhythm guy. The Fender isn't quite as pure, tonally, and I can't used a mic with it, but it spreads the sound out really well on stage. We don't need monitors on stage anymore, to be honest. I friend of mine uses a Schertler David, and has told me he sometimes finds it overmatched at bigger gigs. If I had the budget and a choice, I would opt for the Unico.

I got some good sounds out of the Ischell, and it could be very natural sounding when everything was right. But it was a bit awkward at times, because the box is dangling off that thin cord, and you have to be sure to secure it. Once it worked loose, and pulled the mic down until it was covered by the putty, and I lost the sound. It was quick and easy to fix, and I figured out how to avoid it at future gigs, but now that we have been gigging more, I opted for the simplicity of the Krivo, and to be honest, I think it sounds about as good as the Ischell at a gig.

An Ischell Inside Box with a Schertler Unico is a good, usable combination for anything short of a really loud room. They match up well. But what you need is most determined by the kind of use you have for it. Both served me well, but in the end, I opted for the simplest setup I could get and let them go. I think my buddy is happy with them, and I am sure he will get considerable use from them going forward.
    I've never been a guitar player, but I've played one on stage.
  • ihscoutihscout California,Bay Area Ald la brune
    Thanks,that's the feedback I was hoping for.
    Very helpful!
    Have you compared the krivo with the
    Peche a la mouche?
  • Michael BauerMichael Bauer Chicago, ILProdigy Selmers, Busatos and more…oh my!
    Yes, I had both at my place for awhile. I preferred the Krivo. It sounds less electric to my ears, and cleaner than the Peche, which, to be fair, seems to be trying for that late 40's/early 50's Django sound. It does that very well, and if that's what you want, the Peche is hard to beat. Really well made, too.The Krivo is thinner, simpler to use, easier to attach to the guitar, and seems absolutely bullet-proof.

I would respect anyone''s choice of the Peche a la Mouche, but for my purposes, as a rhythm player, the Krivo just worked better. Cost alot less, too. BTW, our lead player uses a Krivo humbucker, and it sounds good as well. Mine is the single coil, which is the only one available now.

I think it all depends on the sound you want. Both are excellent and would serve you well.
  • ihscoutihscout California,Bay Area Ald la brune
    Thanks,I think I am going to have to
    check one of those krivo pickups out,
    Is there a huge difference with the
    old model vs the new one?
    To be honest, the humbucker at the single coil don't sound wildly different at a gig. I think at home they might be easier to tell apart. I don't think Krivo is making the humbucker right now, so the single could is all you can get.