DjangoBooks.com

Wrist and muscle tension

StrafftaStraffta New
edited September 2013 in Gypsy Picking Posts: 2
Hi Michael,
I was hoping you can give me an advice.
After about four months of practicing I ran into a problem which gives my really hard time. I was doing really fine, my rhythm was getting better and picking exercises were going just fine, but at one point my wrist got really stiff and every time I practice I can feel my forearm muscles. Its not a pain, but some kind of muscle tension which affects my playing, rhythm and picking. I was gradually increasing the tempo, trying to be patient and not rush to much. I've reached 150bpm, both rhythm and picking, but now I'm starting to think that maybe I was going too fast. Where did I go wrong and what can I do about it? Should I give it a rest for a week or so because every time I start to practice it just doesn't work, even at the very slow tempos. To me it looks like a mistake you've mentioned in the book - too fast and muscle were "learned' to play with tension. But what is strange is that my hand was really relaxed before and all this happened suddenly. I would appreciate any advice you may have.

Thanks a lot

Dusan

Comments

• MichaelHorowitzMichaelHorowitz SeattleAdministrator
    Hi Dusan,

This is a problem that a lot of people have. It's good that you're aware of it and taking action to correct it. I think you're already doing the right thing by slowing down and just focusing on keeping everything loose and relaxed. Make sure you're breathing normally and that your posture is natural and free of any unnecessary tension or awkwardness. Practice in short, concentrated sessions while making sure your muscles are relaxed and your motions are accurate and musical. I think a few weeks of this sort of practice should help you keep your arm from getting tense at faster tempos.

Good luck!

Michael