DjangoBooks.com

Lessons via Skype?

edited September 2013 in Gypsy Jazz 101 Posts: 2
Hi, I'm located in the Annapolis MD area but have had no luck finding a gypsy jazz guitar instructor. Does anyone know of an instructor that gives lessons via Skype?

Thanks

Stan

Comments

• ScoredogScoredog Santa Barbara, Ca✭✭✭✭
    There appear to be many, if Denis Chang is available I would highly suggest him. You can look him up and he is active here.
  • Plus one for Dennis.

Also I think Adrien (on this board) Holovaty may be doing skype lessons. Another excellent teacher if he is.

Welcome aboard. You will find the members here very helpful and an all around great group of people. If chatter is a bit sparse atm the Djangophile community is pretty small and Djangofest NW is happening currently.
    The Magic really starts to happen when you can play it with your eyes closed
  • anthon_74anthon_74 Marin county, CA✭✭✭✭ Alta Mira M 01
    Plus 2 for Dennis. He's a great teacher.

As for Adrien holovaty, I spoke to him about this at Django in june and he said he wasn't quite set up yet, but I suspect if you contact him, that could change pretty quickly , as he is tech savvy enough to get that rolling right away.

Good luck.
  • BonesBones Moderator
    I think Gonzalo may do Skype lessons but I'm not sure.
  • Dario Napoli does them.
  • PassacagliaPassacaglia Madison, WI✭✭✭✭
    Hi Stan,

I give lessons via Skype and have taught members of this board. I focus entirely on rhythm, harmony, chord inversions and subs, walking bass lines as well as playing in this style. PM me if you're interested in learning more.

Ted

I just want to say, I recently had a webcam lesson with Ted, and it was incredible. Ted saw many things I hadn't seen in my playing, positively pointed up areas that need improvement, and otherwise he really opened up the possibilities inherent in accompaniment - places on the fretboard I had eschewed, believing "my place" was in the darker, more bass places on the board and voicings. He's given me a real understanding of what it means to be live, alongside a soloist. He was very generous in followup and I'm literally chewing on his additional material now, before going back for more. Can't recommend him highly enough.

It should probably go without saying (but I won't stop there), but Denis Chang's work - which includes his online school, his DVDs, his many generous thoughts here and the few times I've been fortunate enough to arrange a webcam with him, have all been fundamental to what I think and feel about rhythm playing. From the most elemental aspects of rhythm playing (I am going back, as hard as it is, to the most basic elements - because Denis saw something, aptly pointed it out and cleared the way forward, and it's necessary), to more advanced ideas, he's got it all in an incredible depth of knowledge, and more, he can give it over. Like Ted, Denis is also more than generous with his followup (like, there aren't words to fully convey how generous this teacher is). He's a true teacher, and I'd recommend him highly.

If both are available, I'd recommend both.
    -Paul

pas encore, j'erre toujours.
  • dennisdennis Montreal, QuebecModerator
    for certain things i prefer to do custom video lessons rather than skype, it really depends on the student's goals!