DjangoBooks.com

50 Greatest Rhythm Guitar Players...Really?

Archtop EddyArchtop Eddy Manitou Springs, ColoradoModerator
edited October 2013 in Welcome Posts: 589
I just saw Guitar Player's list of the 50 Greatest Rhythm Guitar Players.
Django made the list, Nous'che didn't.
Is there no justice in this world?

Perhaps we should start our own list of Gypsy Jazz Rhythm players.
Any nominations?

When the list hits 50, I'll email it to Guitar Player Magazine and let 'em know what we think. AE

Comments

• AmundLauritzenAmundLauritzen ✭✭✭✭
    Nous'che, Hono, Johnny Rosenberg, Mathieu Chatelain, Denis Chang, Nomy Rosenberg, Ringo Steinbach.

Those are the ones who really excel IMO. And there are countless other competent rhythm players too many to mention.
  • klaatuklaatu Nova ScotiaProdigy Rodrigo Shopis D'Artagnan, 1950s Jacques Castelluccia
    Well, considering the general dearth of jazz players on the list (at least they included Joe Pass and Freddie Green), it's fortunate that Django even made it. Face it, guys, most writers at magazines like this have no clue about the current GJ scene. All they know is Django. On the other hand, I never heard of most of the players on their list!

As a former bluegrasser, I was pleased to see they acknowledged Tony Rice. Like Django, he's much better known as a soloist, but he's one of the finest rhythm players around. He recorded a classic album with Ricky Skaggs a long time ago and showed some of the most beautiful and restrained rhythm playing I've ever heard in traditional music.
    Benny

"It's a great feeling to be dealing with material which is better than yourself, that you know you can never live up to."
    -- Orson Welles
  • Archtop EddyArchtop Eddy Manitou Springs, ColoradoModerator
    Nous'che, Hono, Johnny Rosenberg, Mathieu Chatelain, Denis Chang, Nomy Rosenberg, Ringo Steinbach.

Thanks Amund. That's seven -- 43 more to go! They don't have to be world-famous -- name some of your local favorites. I'll add three: Kevin Nolan, Dave Kelbie (who gets my hat off for his work with Fapy last weekend), and Stefan Doucette.

So 40 more to go! AE
  • PhilPhil Portland, ORModerator Anastasio

Thanks Amund. That's seven -- 43 more to go! They don't have to be world-famous -- name some of your local favorites. I'll add three: Kevin Nolan, Dave Kelbie (who gets my hat off for his work with Fapy last weekend), and Stefan Doucette.

So 40 more to go! AE

Gonzalo, Shelly Park, Colin Cosimini, Ducato Piowtrowski, Doudou!
  • Charlie AyersCharlie Ayers Salt Lake CityProdigy
    Herve Gaguenetti.......
  • rimmrimm Ireland✭✭✭✭ Paul doyle D hole, washburn washington
    Boulou and elios ferre
    Fintan Gilligan
    Good call on nomy Rosenberg, the guys a machine. Dave kelbie obviously. 8)
    I got a fever and the only prescription is more cowbell
  • galvanometrgalvanometr Czech Republic✭✭ Lebreton Modele 4
    Baro
    Tchavolo
    Samy
    Mayo
  • PhilPhil Portland, ORModerator Anastasio
    Jan Brouwer
    Rainier Voet
  • PassacagliaPassacaglia Madison, WI✭✭✭✭
    edited September 2013 Posts: 1,471
    Phil wrote:
    Jan Brouwer
    Rainier Voet

+1. Love these guys - never knew Reinier also played rhythm, wasn't aware until a few days ago they played rhythm on Fapy/Tim Kliphuis's Fleur D'Ennui. Very light, dry, very beautiful rhythm work on all their albums.

In addition to the above, sorry if I missed them and they've already been said, I'd add in Martin Limberger, Johnny Rosenberg, Joseph Reinhardt, our own Ted Gottsegen, Dave Kelbie. I've not had the chance yet to hear a ton of Ted's work, but both from working with him and following him around here and on the web, I really appreciate his mastery of the subtle art.

Edit: Uh, that would be Joseph Reinhardt, not Joseph Rosenberg. :roll:
    -Paul

pas encore, j'erre toujours.
  • klaatuklaatu Nova ScotiaProdigy Rodrigo Shopis D'Artagnan, 1950s Jacques Castelluccia
    I was glad to see Denis Chang mentioned early on. I've had the pleasure of watching the Cookie Monster play rhythm for some of the top players in the genre. He always does so very capably AND modestly, never calling attention to himself and just getting the job done without fanfare. He always seems quite content to let the star BE the star - just one of the things I admire about him.
    Benny

"It's a great feeling to be dealing with material which is better than yourself, that you know you can never live up to."
    -- Orson Welles