DjangoBooks.com

"In the Mood"

Lango-DjangoLango-Django Niagara-On-The-Lake, ONModerator
I've just started messing around with this one because I'm quite fond of the Oscar Aleman version

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PGBK187y-8A

Anybody else ever try this?

I'd think that all you former rock players out there might find its blues-ish chord structure good for pentatonic licks and tricks?

Anyway, I'm finding it a bit challenging as its got a bluesier feel than most of the stuff I usually play... so its very simplicity is what makes it a challenge for me.

Will
Paul Cezanne: "I could paint for a thousand years without stopping and I would still feel as though I knew nothing."

Edgar Degas: "Only when he no longer knows what he is doing does the painter do good things.... To draw, you must close your eyes and sing."

Georges Braque: "In art there is only one thing that counts: the bit that can’t be explained."

Comments

• jimvencejimvence Austin, TX✭✭
    Hi WIll,

I’ve messed around with it a bit, long before I heard the OA version. I’m curious as to why it didn’t make it to Django’s repertoire, nor many GJ artists to this day seem to cover it. Django obviously was influenced by Benny Goodman when he formed his Nouveau Quintette.

It’s a good practice exercise, because the melody forms standard chord shapes which make it tempting for the guitarist to fret the whole chord shape and arpeggiate it, letting the notes ring, when it should be played staccato.

I’ll outline some shapes -- pardon the in-line tablature that may sometimes get misaligned. PM me if you'd like a cleaner transcription.

The melody in G, has the G shape for the I (G) chord:

E ---------3-----3 etc…
    B -----3-------3 etc ..
    G --4--------4 etc..

C shape
    E ---------3-----3 etc…
    B -----5-------5 etc ..
    G --5--------5 etc..

The D7 shape is the C shape two frets up. The point is to choke the notes when arpeggiating them.

Here are the triads in the eleventh and twelfth bars of the “A” section.
    E --3-3-3---3-3----3--3--3--3---3---
    B --3-3-3---5-5----2--2--1--1---0--
    G --4-4-4---5-5----3--3--2--2---0-

The chorus uses the seventh position (D shaped) G chord, and includes a Cmaj 7 shape…again being staccato

e -------------6--5------------7--7
    B --8---8-----6--5---------8-------
    G ----9-------6--5-------9----------
    D ----------------------10-------------

That’s played three times, the third time, change the “---7—7” on the e string to “–-7—10”.

Then

e --10—10---10---10—10--10-----10----6-—5---3
    B --10--10---10----9----9----9----10----6---5----5
    G –-11--11---11---10—10--10-----11----6---5---4

.. the last triad outlining a G6 triad. Since the B section is repeated, I like to change the last triad on the second repeat from G6 (3-5-4) to G (3-3-4)

Hope this helps.
  • Lango-DjangoLango-Django Niagara-On-The-Lake, ONModerator
    Thanks, Jim... Hey, have you run into Toronto's illustrious mayor down there in Austin, "Crackpipe" Rob Ford?

He's the guy that's almost as big as the whole state of Texas!
    Paul Cezanne: "I could paint for a thousand years without stopping and I would still feel as though I knew nothing."

Edgar Degas: "Only when he no longer knows what he is doing does the painter do good things.... To draw, you must close your eyes and sing."

Georges Braque: "In art there is only one thing that counts: the bit that can’t be explained."
  • jimvencejimvence Austin, TX✭✭
    Thanks, Jim... Hey, have you run into Toronto's illustrious mayor down there in Austin, "Crackpipe" Rob Ford?

He's the guy that's almost as big as the whole state of Texas!

I didn't know he was out here. Maybe he got the "Keith Richards/Jim Hendrix" treatment at Pearson Airport on the way out! :lol: