DjangoBooks.com

Django Reinhardt on BBC TV

Teddy DupontTeddy Dupont Deity
in History Posts: 1,257
Just posting this in the hope that one of you might find a copy of the 1939 program in their attic somewhere.

The 10 minute 1938 program was probably the "Le Jazz Hot" film which had been produced to advertise the Quintette's 1938 UK tour. The 1939 program, however, was a special BBC TV production and included Beryl Davis who was part of the UK tour that year.
MichaelHorowitzadrianA GentMicky Dunne

Comments

• Teddy DupontTeddy Dupont Deity
    .....and for any of you who are geekish enough to care about such things, here is a copy of the BBC's original notes about the 1939 program. Interestingly it shows two tunes the Quintet never recorded - "Wishing" and "Deep Purple". The former is "Wishing (Will Make It So)" recorded by Vera Lynn in 1939.
    BucoadrianJazzaferriLoritmoA Gent
    A performance set list, wow!!
    Every note wants to go somewhere-Kurt Rosenwinkel
    stuart wrote: »
    It would be an amazing find if it ever surfaced - especially the unnamed guitar solo.

The guitar solo is "The Man I Love" played as per the recording of 25th August, 1939 with Grappelli on piano.

The person in the BBC who actually found this document for me is convinced the program was live and not filmed. So the chances of ever finding anything are sadly very remote.

I have copies of similar original notes for the two 1948 BBC TV "Stars in Your Eyes" programs that featured the String Quintet with Grappelli. Again, the BBC "expert" believes these were live programs. :-q #-o
    Jazzaferri
    The only hope we have is that it does say on the BBC notes for the "Stars in Your Eyes" program that some film was involved in the broadcasts.
    ....and according to Spatzo, Serge Krief claims he has seen film of Django playing "Swing 42" which was performed on both the "Stars in Your Eyes" progs.
  • ACKKKKK..TEddyyyyyy ...I am a junior DjangoGeek....don't know what to make of that...but I can't help it.
    The Magic really starts to happen when you can play it with your eyes closed
  • wimwim ChicagoModerator Barault #503 replica
    Yeah! I really love that beryl version of don't worry bout me. Such a shame that we have to salivate over scraps of Django video footage, I thought he really was famous enough that there should be more of it around?!
    Meanwhile all kinds of crap like America's Next Top Model's Got Talent With The Kardashians is surely archived in triplicate in data centres all over the planet these days .. 8-}
    Teddy DupontadrianDaniel Dorrington
  • Svanis1337Svanis1337 ✭✭✭
    edited February 2014 Posts: 457
    Fascinating post, Teddy! I've been trying to contact you via PM, but haven't gotten any response. There's no clear messaging system anymore, unfortunately. They're called discussions, and there is no sent messages folder. I tried making a post on the forums about another topic but it won't let me upload sound files. Says there's no data in the post?

Of course, the "Swing 42" Serge Krief saw could just be the Paul Paviot documentary, which has that recording playing over the clip of Django in the Rodeo Club, 1946. Maybe someone could ask him?

Also, Quintette Du Hot Club De Paris?
  • MichaelHorowitzMichaelHorowitz SeattleAdministrator
    edited February 2014 Posts: 6,152
    Svanis1337 wrote: »
    There's no clear messaging system anymore, unfortunately. They're called discussions, and there is no sent messages folder.

@Svanis1337 the private messages are all in your inbox. Just click there to send and receive them.

I tried making a post on the forums about another topic but it won't let me upload sound files. Says there's no data in the post?

You can't submit a post that's only attachments. The system also requires some text in the body of the message so please try again, thanks!

Svanis1337
    edited February 2014 Posts: 1,257
    Fascinating post, Teddy! I've been trying to contact you via PM, but haven't gotten any response.
    There is nothing in my inbox from you. Try again.
    Of course, the "Swing 42" Serge Krief saw could just be the Paul Paviot documentary, which has that recording playing over the clip of Django in the Rodeo Club, 1946. Maybe someone could ask him?
    Good point. I'll check.
    Also, Quintette Du Hot Club De Paris?
    Probably just a typical typo. The Radio Times insert is correct.

Also interesting that "Nuages" is called "The Bluest Kind of Blues" rather than "Nuages". I would be surprised if Django or Steph gave that title. Perhaps that it what was on the UK sheet music.