DjangoBooks.com

My own thread on transcriptions, hotjazzplaying and so on..

a_onarheima_onarheim Stavanger, Norway✭✭ Gitane DG-255, Godin Session Custom TP
edited September 2014 in Welcome Posts: 13
Hi there!
I'm a 26 year-old guy from Norway. Started playing gypsy-guitar about a year ago, really happy about my Gitane DG-255. Here I'll be posting clips and thoughts on tunes I'm working with.
First out I've been working on Romane Manouche Transcr. on Swing For Ninine. I warmly recommend the book "E'sprit Manouche" it's great! I still have some work regarding time/feel/teq but here goes:

peterja

Comments

• edited February 2014 Posts: 4,723
    Sounded good. Have fun on the forum, it's a great place.

Buco
    Every note wants to go somewhere-Kurt Rosenwinkel
  • wimwim ChicagoModerator Barault #503 replica
    Amazing, you did a stellar job for only 1 year. You must be a pretty high level already on guitar to get that good so quickly!

I agree it is a good book and romane is a great teacher. \m/

The only thing I can recommend is on the right hand wrist angle, it is quite flat which I think is resulting in a somewhat thin/weak sound. If you "break" the wrist and then pick INTO the guitar a bit more (rather than "across" the guitar like you get with a straight wrist), then I think you will find a more powerful tone and more gypsy sound quite easily.

Good work and thanks for the nice video :)
    a_onarheimMattHenry
  • a_onarheima_onarheim Stavanger, Norway✭✭ Gitane DG-255, Godin Session Custom TP
    Thanks a lot for the nice comments and tips! WIM, thanks for the heads-up on hand position, guess I should spend a little more each day in the beginning of practice focusing on that alone. I will post more videos facing straight camera, I really could need more comments on my development on this as I have no teacher(well, romane is sort of).

Yes, I've played regular electric alternate picking style for many years, but this is the first acoustic instrument style I have really dug into and I'm hooked:)
  • wimwim ChicagoModerator Barault #503 replica
    Here's a good view of Stochelo's wrist for comparison ..
    MichaelHorowitzBucoCalebFSUlostjohnJonjazzygtrStringswinger
  • Joli GadjoJoli Gadjo Cardiff, UK✭✭✭✭ Derecho, Bumgarner - VSOP, AJL
    I had never realized before how much his 3 fingers were actually hitting the top of the guitar as much. Beautiful, Thanks!
    lostjohn
    - JG
  • a_onarheima_onarheim Stavanger, Norway✭✭ Gitane DG-255, Godin Session Custom TP
    wim wrote: »
    Here's a good view of Stochelo's wrist for comparison ..
    Wow, super view and super solo. It's amazing how free and loose, yet powerful, his righthand moves. Thanks man =)
    That's the best wrist on the planet, no doubt!
    Super awesome video, thanks for posting Wim.

@a_onarheim what's the pick you're using? Seems thin.

Buco
    Joli Gadjo wrote: »
    I had never realized before how much his 3 fingers were actually hitting the top of the guitar as much. Beautiful, Thanks!

I was thinking the same thing. If this is what he always does, it's a big part of his sound. It gives it percussiveness and makes it so very unique.
    Buco wrote: »
    That's the best wrist on the planet, no doubt!
    Super awesome video, thanks for posting Wim.

@a_onarheim what's the pick you're using? Seems thin.

Buco

It's a standard black wegen gypsypick. =)
    ah I see, just seemed so on the video.

Do try to follow Wim's advice about the wrist, it can make a major change for the better in your tone.
    But you're doing super well already.