DjangoBooks.com

Playing other peoples guitars...

matty42matty42 tyrone, pa✭✭✭
in Welcome Posts: 67
I am a decent player and the guitars I have are both pretty nice, a John Jorgenson signature Gitane and an Ibanez archtop hollow body. Being that I am used to playing what you could call perhaps above average guitars I sometimes find it difficult to play at my usual level one other peoples guitars. I find that some guitars just agree with you and some don't.

I'm just curious if others find this to be true or would you consider it more to be "spoiled"?

I'm wondering because my most recent experience was playing with my sister-in-law. Her guitar is okay, but if I was at the music store I would not pick it for myself as far as playability and feel. Also the strings are so old that my fingers were black after playing it. I found that it was difficult to smoothly change chords due to the strings being so old and rigid. But she can play it with ease and sounds very smooth on it.

So what are your thoughts or experiences? It seems lame to be like "I'm actually better than that, but it's your guitar...".

Comments

• pickitjohnpickitjohn South Texas Corpus, San Antonio, AustinVirtuoso Patenotte 260
    Use what you got cause you got a lot.
    Always different ways to look at everything, I've found that appreciating what you have opens doors more easily.

There's a wonderful quote by Robert Brault that goes, "appreciate the little things in life for one day you may look back and realize they were the big things."

Consciously applying appreciation adds value to that which is important in our lives and reminds us that life is good!

You will likely play someones Guitar that totally blows you away. It's all relative might as well FEEL GOOD :-c

pick on
    pickitjohn :peace:
  • AmundLauritzenAmundLauritzen ✭✭✭✭
    No, i agree with you. After I got my Eimers Antique it's a struggle to play other guitars. I'm yet to try a guitar that is as easy to play, and that sounds as good as it does.

I have a Saga Cigano D-hole guitar that I bought way back to have as a backup guitar, but I never play it since I got the Eimers. The same with my Dell Arte guitar, the Eimers is just in another league.