DjangoBooks.com

OMG Patenotte 260 tuned half step higher is AMAZING!!!

pickitjohnpickitjohn South Texas Corpus, San Antonio, AustinVirtuoso Patenotte 260
I Love this Guitar…

When I first bought the guitar I almost returned it to the ebay seller.
After a few bridge modifications, then new bridge it started coming back to Life.
The best change came when I put Gallistrings Silk & Steel on GSL10 lights on
Thanks @Jon worked great for me.

I would tune to 440 and would play to fine tune after a few weeks I noticed that my refinement for better tone always raised the pitch somewhat. I decided to tune a half step above 440 so I'd still be able to play with other's.

It just seems like the added tension on the soundboard is exactly what the guitar wanted to REALLY OPEN UP THE GUITAR

What a great Gypsy tone and volume it has now. B-)

My other guitar's are not getting much play since this discovery.

It would be great to get some professional luthier thoughts on this…

pick on

pickitjohn:peace:

Comments

• Al WatskyAl Watsky New JerseyVirtuoso
    That sounds good sometimes.
    It can also stress the instrument and lead to long term problems.
    I would try a heavier gauge string before I went over pitch on a stringed instrument.

Hey John, I loved Galli's (and still do) until I tried La Bella. Also silk and steel but the bass strings are a thicker gauge so their 10s set goes 10-50. That could get you best of both worlds, regular tuning with stronger sound.
    pickitjohn
    Every note wants to go somewhere-Kurt Rosenwinkel
  • Sounds like you need more downforce to get the top working. You might try going with a set of strings with a little higher tension.
    The Magic really starts to happen when you can play it with your eyes closed
  • Joli GadjoJoli Gadjo Cardiff, UK✭✭✭✭ Derecho, Bumgarner - VSOP, AJL
    One half step more and you can read Bb Clarinet sheet!!
    This is a short scale, so I guess it could be fine, especially with 10s... Although the Poplar neck does not have a truss rod.
    AndyW
    - JG
  • pickitjohnpickitjohn South Texas Corpus, San Antonio, AustinVirtuoso Patenotte 260
    @Joli Gadjo
    Thanks for chiming in on your "OLD GUITAR" I will be watching this neck closely. It's just amazing how much better and more alive it sounds.
    I just order the La Bella Silk & Steel to see if the extra tension will have the same effect Thanks @Al Watsky @Buco @Jazzaferri for your suggestions…

It's a charming instrument and really want to do right by it. Thanks for the tips

Happy picking

pickitjohn :peace:
  • pickitjohnpickitjohn South Texas Corpus, San Antonio, AustinVirtuoso Patenotte 260
    @Buco Thanks! YOU WERE RIGHT
    Hey John, I loved Galli's (and still do) until I tried La Bella. Also silk and steel but the bass strings are a thicker gauge so their 10s set goes 10-50. That could get you best of both worlds, regular tuning with stronger sound.

Guess I'm a La Bella Fellow with my Patenotte.

Worked Perfect best sound yet out of that guitar, it's really got that vintage gypsy tone.

pick on

pickitjohn :peace:
    Hehe I'm happy there's another convert.
    Pick on man,

Buco
    Every note wants to go somewhere-Kurt Rosenwinkel
  • It's always good to try different strings from time to time. Surprising what one learns about guitars.
    pickitjohn
    The Magic really starts to happen when you can play it with your eyes closed
  • Al WatskyAl Watsky New JerseyVirtuoso
    Thats great !
    Another LaBella E&O Mari user.

• Jeff MooreJeff Moore Minneapolis✭✭✭✭ Lebreton 2
    Buco the light La Bella are 9-50 aren't they? The mediums are 13-56.
    I liked the sound but they give a real wide frequency response.
    "We need a radical redistribution of wealth and power" MLK