DjangoBooks.com

About to buy an audio technica pro 70, open to last minute advice

anthon_74anthon_74 Marin county, CA✭✭✭✭ Alta Mira M 01
edited June 2014 in Welcome Posts: 561
Hey there friends -

after talking to several people about the best mic / pick up option for my Selmac guitar, I've decided upon the audio techinca pro 70 and here's why - I don't own, nor can I currently easily afford a decent amp at this point in time, and my bass player has a nice bose pillar PA system, which we use for sound. I've heard the pro 70 is best when through a PA as opposed to an amp so that's my line of thinking.

If you know of a better MIC based system for the same or not much more $$ please feel free to enlighten me. FYI I strongly prefer the natural selmer sound over the distorted pick up selmer sound, and if it wasn't for the fact that I sing many songs in the group, I would just stick a normal mic in front of my guitar but alas, it's like being behind a wall of mics when I do.

thanks!

Anthony

Comments

• pickitjohnpickitjohn South Texas Corpus, San Antonio, AustinVirtuoso Patenotte 260
    @MichaelHorowitz had them here for $99.00

You have 45 days to return it if your not happy.

I like mine

http://www.djangobooks.com/Item/audio-technica-pro-70

pick on

pickitjohn :peace:
    MichaelHorowitz
  • jonpowljonpowl Hercules, CA✭✭✭ Dupont MD-100, Altamira M01F
    Isn't that what Gonzalo uses? I've seen him twice and he sounded great both times.
  • adrianadrian AmsterdamVirtuoso
    I've had the Pro 70 for several years. Here's my take: its performance completely depends on the guitar.

It sounds and works great with one of my guitars. With another of my guitars, it's completely feedbacky no matter where I place it (trust me, I've tried every logical position, plus some illogical ones).

I'd say play around with it, with the expectation that it might not work well on your particular guitar due to the way it resonates. Good luck!
    In the discussion about the Myers mic, Paul @bopster mentioned he has both, the AT and the Myers and preffers the sound of Myers.
    You can read more here:
    http://www.djangobooks.com/forum/discussion/12854/myers-pickups/p2

When I tried both, it seemed that Myers has flatter eq curve and AT brings in more highs.
    You really couldn't go wrong with either.
    And yes, Gonzalo always gets great sound with the AT.

Every note wants to go somewhere-Kurt Rosenwinkel
  • anthon_74anthon_74 Marin county, CA✭✭✭✭ Alta Mira M 01
    Hmm Adrian you got me thinking... I play a very loud and nasally alta Mira. I've always thought it to be very strong in the mids, pretty strong in the highs, and a little less strong in the lows. Any guess as to whether it's a "match" to the Pro 70?

I'll check in to the Myers as well.

Anthony
  • bopsterbopster St. Louis, MOProdigy Wide Sky PL-1, 1940? French mystery guitar, ‘37 L-4
    Anthony,

I'm Paul, and I play an Altamira M30. I have both the Pro 70 and a Myers Pickup - my demonstration is here -

http://www.myerspickups.com/gypsyjazzguitars.html

and I use the Myers more now. Here is a clip of me using the Pro70 live:

Hope this helps!
  • adrianadrian AmsterdamVirtuoso
    anthon_74 wrote: »
    Hmm Adrian you got me thinking... I play a very loud and nasally alta Mira. I've always thought it to be very strong in the mids, pretty strong in the highs, and a little less strong in the lows. Any guess as to whether it's a "match" to the Pro 70?

I have no idea. I'm not much of a gear guy...you have officially reached the limit of my knowledge! Sorry man.

Adrian
    Hey Bopster - Can you tell me a bit more info about the Myers pickup ? It's not a mic but a pick up yes ? Which set up is right for a gypsy jazz guitar ? There were like 4 different options to buy from the website ? I want to run it through a PA system, what do I need all and all ?

thanks,

Anthony
  • Craig BumgarnerCraig Bumgarner Drayden, MarylandVirtuoso Bumgarner S/N 001
    I've used an AT mic a good bit and agree with Adrian, it depends on the guitar. I'll go a little further in saying an AT will sound like your guitar's acoustic sound and the way you play it.

If it is a thin sounding, quite guitar, it will sound the same with the AT and it will be hard to get much volume without feedback.

If the guitar is loud, resonant with strong mids and you play it loud, that's what you will likely get from the AT.
    Thanks Craig ! I play loud (too loud according to some at Django in June), so I'm thinking it will work

cheers!

Anthony