DjangoBooks.com

Django’s Pictorial Legacy: The TWA Photos

DjangoBooksDjangoBooks Seattle✭✭✭ All of them!
edited July 2014 in Photos Posts: 446
imageDjango’s Pictorial Legacy: The TWA Photos

By Roger Baxter Pierre Guillermin, Line Renaud, Hubert Rostaing (standing), Louis Gasté, Django Reinhardt By the early 1950s, Django Reinhardt was very much a “yesterday’s man” and as far as we know, had not worked with Hubert Rostaing since a concert in Brussels in December, 1948. I have...

Read the full story here

BucoMarkA

Comments

• MichaelHorowitzMichaelHorowitz SeattleAdministrator
    Many thanks to Roger for this insightful and enjoyable analysis of this classic Django photo!
  • Michael BauerMichael Bauer Chicago, ILProdigy Selmers, Busatos and more…oh my!
    Looks like Django's playing a classical guitar in the photo. Thanks for the great analysis!
    I've never been a guitar player, but I've played one on stage.
  • Teddy DupontTeddy Dupont Deity
    Looks like Django's playing a classical guitar in the photo.
    ....... but it does have a tailpiece.

• Michael BauerMichael Bauer Chicago, ILProdigy Selmers, Busatos and more…oh my!
    Wow! Your eyes are better than mine, Teddy!
    I've never been a guitar player, but I've played one on stage.
  • MarkAMarkA Vermont✭✭✭ Holo Epiphany, Gibson L-5
    Thanks for a fascinating post (I meant to click like instead of funny, I blame the iphone).
    @MarkA Fyi you can unclick and change it too.
    Every note wants to go somewhere-Kurt Rosenwinkel
    Thanks MarkA. I was just a bit confused by your "funny" classification. :-SS
    This is a photo of the actual Pan American Clipper that Django travelled to the USA on. The two ladies are Pamela Churchill and Princess Matchabelli, both of whom are mentioned in the newspaper article.
  • spatzospatzo Virtuoso
    edited July 2014 Posts: 768
    Django arrived in NYC with a Pan American Word Airways flight on a Lockheed Constellation L-049-46-26 named "Paul Jones".

Django's visa clearly indicates that he arrived on flight NC88856 thus "Paul Jones" and not on a "Yankee Clipper" as indicated by Michael Dregni in his excellent book on Django

Here's Django's plane
  • spatzospatzo Virtuoso
    Django arrived by plane on 29 October 1946