DjangoBooks.com

Need advice, visiting Paris.

Paulius VolkovasPaulius Volkovas ✭✭✭
in Gypsy Jazz 101 Posts: 147
Ill be going to Paris next week and would like to check some gypsy guitars and maybe some gypsy concerts. What are some shops that has good gypsy guitars?

Comments

• jonpowljonpowl Hercules, CA✭✭✭ Dupont MD-100, Altamira M01F
    edited July 2014 Posts: 704
    I would recommend Jean-Baptiste Castelluccia
    3 Rue de Constantinople
    75008 Paris
    He makes some more reasonably priced guitars. Try out the Tears (1700 Euro) and please let me know how it plays and sounds. I am considering buying one from Djangobooks in the fall.
    For music, check out this thread: http://www.djangobooks.com/blog/gypsy-jazz-jams-in-paris/
  • wimwim ChicagoModerator Barault #503 replica
    I second the recommendation for Castelluccia. You should also check out RF Charle, if you have a little more to spend. Dupont showroom is worth a visit but I don't think the instruments are as good value as you will get from Castelluccia
  • François RAVEZFrançois RAVEZ FranceProdigy
    Hi,
    Castelluccia is a must. While you are in the rue de Rome area, not very far from rue de Constantinople you can also visit Rome Instruments (http://www.romeinstruments.fr/) at 54 rue de Rome, Atelier Papalardo at 55 rue de Rome and Musikentrock (used guitars only) at 8 rue de Constantinople.

Of course a guitar lover cannot miss Pigalle (especially rue de Douai and Oldies Guitar at 31rue Victor Massé) and François Charle (17 Galerie Véro-Dodat).

Enjoy your stay

François
  • klaatuklaatu Nova ScotiaProdigy Rodrigo Shopis D'Artagnan, 1950s Jacques Castelluccia
    For concerts, I would recommend L'Atelier Charonne, a very nice restaurant/bar which features world-class gypsy jazz every night of the week. And of course on Saturdays & Sundays, Ninine Garcia and friends jam at La Chope des Puces from 2 to 7.
    Benny

"It's a great feeling to be dealing with material which is better than yourself, that you know you can never live up to."
    -- Orson Welles
  • Paulius VolkovasPaulius Volkovas ✭✭✭
    Castellucia wrote me he only has django-Castel model in his studio, but if i will have a chance i would like to check it out.
  • Joli GadjoJoli Gadjo Cardiff, UK✭✭✭✭ Derecho, Bumgarner - VSOP, AJL
  • spudspud paris, france✭✭✭✭
    One must visit shop is called "guitare village" - its a bit tricky To get because its in the suburbs, about 30min train and 15 min walk from Gare du Nord but its well worth it.
    They have lots of secondhand and new guitares and are really Nice people.
    Hères the link to see what used guitares they have at the moment
    guitare-village.com/occasion/jazz/jazz.php
    Buco
    Thank you for the above.
    Really I just wanted to respond so one day I can find the info about that store if I'm visiting.
    Every note wants to go somewhere-Kurt Rosenwinkel
  • Paulius VolkovasPaulius Volkovas ✭✭✭
    Due to the lack of time i could only check the Dupont showroom. I played MD50 and MDC50. I liked the MD until i tryed MDC. Mdc is a D hole guitar and to my ears it sounded much fuller in both low and treble frequencies. But to be honest the price is a big turn off for me. It doesn't sound 7 times better than my Pattenote, as the price suggests.
    I also talked to one musician in Paris and he was very dissapointed in Dupont. About the quality and company's attitude to solving their own problems.
    Too bad i didn't have more time to meet Castelluccia and check more gypsy guitars, maybe next time...
    Craig Bumgarner
  • MirePralMirePral
    Atellier Charonne is great and easy to get to, but i was really blown away at "Aux petits joueurs". Great food, amazing place all about the music.