DjangoBooks.com

Help-Advice/ Moving to NYC

PapsPierPapsPier ✭✭
in Welcome Posts: 426
Hello,
in October, I will move from Paris to NYC, for one or two years and I would need some help/advice.
First, how can I travel with my guitar without having trouble: could I keep it with me in the cabin? Is it ok to put it in checked luggage ? Do you have any experience of this situation?
Second, I would like to know how to find a gypsy band to join in NYC. I have seen that gigs are announced on djanbooks, there is also a NYC gypsy jazz facebook page but the bands seems to be complete.

I will also be looking for a shared apartment once there. Finding an apartment to share with other musiciens would be ideal (I need to practise guitar and clarinet). If someone heard about a place (around Columbia University, Central Park, Harlem) available in october, please contact me !

If you have any suggestion of interesting places to listen to jazz, gypsy , world music, I'm interested ! (even if I could probably easily find a lot of places once there).

Hope to see some of you there ! Thanks for your help

Pierre

Comments

• swingnationswingnation ✭✭
    Hi Pierre,

there's a few threads on this forum about traveling with your guitar with good advice. Lot's of guys travel to Django in June and Samois from all over without any issues and I'm sure someone will throw some advice your way.

I'm in the scene in NYC and the best way to get involved is through the NYC FB site and show up at the jams- one in Jersey City and one in Brooklyn that most guys go to. Most of the bands rotate members between gigs because one guy or another can't make it or someone's out of town. We all know each other pretty well and everyone's cool about welcoming new members. Hit me up when you're here and we'll jam sometime. Definitely throw a post up on NYC FB page too.

Cheers and welcome to NYC bro

Jayson
  • DragonPLDragonPL Maryland✭✭ Dupont MD 50-XL (Favino), Michael Dunn Stardust, Castelluccia Tears, Yunzhi gypsy jazz guitar, Gitane DG-320, DG-250M and DG-250
    I always carry my guitar as carry on, and just flew from US to Europe and back in May and had no trouble with it as carry on.
  • Al WatskyAl Watsky New JerseyVirtuoso
    International flights your OK with carry on. Regional flights in smaller planes is much more difficult. From Paris to NYC your gonna be OK.
  • PapsPierPapsPier ✭✭
    Thanks for your comments ! I'm looking forward to be there !