DjangoBooks.com

Better tailpieces?

pdaiglepdaigle Montreal, QCNew
I notice that the Selmer tailpiece copies that a lot of luthiers use are pretty cheap: I've bent mine once or twice when installing loop-end Argentines on the D and G string i.e the end of the tailpiece.

I am wondering also if it can have an impact on tone: overtones and such.

Are there better quality replacements available out there? Mine has just an 'S' on it; I believe it's the same ones used by Saga.

Thanks in advance.

Comments

• Josh HeggJosh Hegg Tacoma, WAModerator
    The tail pieces that come on the Saga are a really common and generic one. I have seen them for sale alone and they are inexpensive. With some work they are okay but like you say "thin".

As for the tone unless the pins are all lose and buzzing there really is not an impact on the tone if the tail piece has been installed correctly. If it is touching the top of the guitar then that would be bad.

I have a DB tail piece on one of my guitars and it has been great. Wood can be added with some good adhesive if you want that look. I have an ebony bit on mine just for the fun of it. I also put a nice leather piece between the tail piece and guitar body. You can get these at gypsyguitars.com for around $35. It would be a fine replacement if you are unhappy with the one you have. In short... If the tail piece is holding the strings and not buzzing then it's a good tail piece.

Cheers,
    Josh