DjangoBooks.com

Donna Lee - the chords

T1mothyT1mothy ✭✭ Furch petite bouche
edited September 2014 in Repertoire Posts: 79
Hello guys I was wondering if you could help me figure out the fingerings of the chords used in the Song Donna Lee. The video is here - youtube.com/watch?v=Cz8lIYVyZB8. Im trying to copy what their hands are doing but am getting nowhere close to the sound. Cheers
Timothy
EDIT: link added

Comments

• BonesBones Moderator
    Hi T1,

No link for the vid.
  • T1mothyT1mothy ✭✭ Furch petite bouche
    edited September 2014 Posts: 79
    Just noticed. Sorry :-)
    EDIT: Okay I cant open the link from here which I copied directly from youtube.
    EDIT II: adjusted the link a little so you have to copy it in your browser.
  • Try using soundslice to slow it to about 50% speed.
    The chords are being repeated for some time so slowing it down wont help me figure it out. Im just not familiar with all the shapes used there. Just to make it clear Im talking about the rhythm guitar.
  • If you are not yet able to hear the chords in your head perhaps work on something you can hear in your head and figure out. Training, the ear/brain interface so one can hear the notes is a great skill, because once you hear the notes then you can figure any song out yourself.
    The Magic really starts to happen when you can play it with your eyes closed
    edited September 2014 Posts: 79
    That probably is true but Im not familiar with the shapes they use therefore even if I recognize its an Ab major chord I wont ever be able to get the sound they do because of the major 6th shape. Luckily I know that one. My point is getting database from which I could draw chords to match them to what my ear picks could be nice.
  • Ok. If I have a chance later, I'll throw up the fingerings.
    Aight thanks a bunch
  • edited September 2014 Posts: 3,707
    @T1mothy My thoughts are more along the line of first learning to discern WHAT KIND of Ab major chord it is........ Maj6..... Maj7....Maj9....augmented......

Ear training is a very useful skill in music and particularly useful in GJ

Having said that take the gift that @Jim Kaznosky is giving you and enjoy ;)
    The Magic really starts to happen when you can play it with your eyes closed
  • bopsterbopster St. Louis, MOProdigy Wide Sky PL-1, 1940? French mystery guitar, ‘37 L-4
    I go through the basics with a close up of my hand. They are all well known chords found in any of the usual books (Cosimini, Horowitz, Wrembel, Chang). Please excuse the sloppy playing and Keith Jarrett vocals.