DjangoBooks.com

iRealPro Who, How, any helpful thoughts!

pickitjohnpickitjohn South Texas Corpus, San Antonio, AustinVirtuoso Patenotte 260
in Technique Posts: 936
I came across several post where people mentioned iRealPro app. I didn't find much explanation other then its
another practice tool. It be great to hear some insights on how the program has been a benefit, or any suggestions on how to get the most out of it and if you think it worth using.
Hope everyone has a great weekend

and

pick on

pickitjohn :peace:

Comments

• cavemusiccavemusic Edmonton, Alberta 2010 JWC Modele Jazz, 2015 Jean Barault Grande Bouche with resonator, 1947 Kay upright bass, Django finger puppet
    A couple of my bandmates have it. It can function as a real book full of charts. I believe there are a huge number of charts available. It can transpose to various keys and you can edit the charts if you like. It can also play the tunes so you can practice along. You can create playlists for gigs, etc. So it can be very useful for various purposes: charts, gig playlist, practice tool, etc. I'm not sure that it's very useful on an iPhone though - the screen is too small. iPad/tablet sure. I don't have it (yet) because I don't have a tablet but I think I would get it someday. You can buy a device to mount your tablet on a mike stand.

Here is a forum and a list of GJ tunes ...
    http://www.irealb.com/forums/showthread.php?215-Gypsy-Jazz
    pickitjohn
    Kevin
  • jazzygtrjazzygtr Stillwater, MN✭✭ Gibson J-35
    I use it and would consider it a very good practice tool. And as mention, there are thousands of tunes posted on their web site or forum for free.

Although there are a number of ways to use it here are a few of the ways that tend to use it:

-I work on comping over and along with it tons of different songs and changes, and try to see how far I can push that or how interesting I can make it so that I'm always growing and better able to support others.

-Sometimes I will just play with and embellish the head or melody over and over again to see what I can do with it rather than focus on just soloing (I know you can use the melody in soloing, but I consider working on my "leads" to be another focus all together).

-I LOVE taking just a portion of a progression and work on lines to play just over those changes. Then I'll move on and loop another part of the progression and just wok on playing over those. Then I start putting them together and play over them for long periods of time. I really love using this looping feature to just repeat specific sections and or changes and measures over and over again. And the fact that the tempo can be changes is a huge benefit as we'll.

-I also like to play with the mix within iRealPro. So I may play over the whole track, but then decide I'll just try playing over just the drum/percussion track and see if I can fill my lines out a bit with some more chord melody style playing. Or next I may ditch the drums and just keep the bass and maybe a very light piano to see how well I'm locking into a groove without any "click" or drum to keep me going. Etc.

-I have also used it to chart out tunes for other band members. It works a lot better than them trying to read my hand writing.

-This also allows you to change what type of rhythm you are playing any tune in. Which can be real fun and pretty easily allow you to come up with and try creating something a little different than perhaps you would have on your own.

I could go on, but I hope some of that gives you a hit of idea of how at least one guy uses it. I really am not a huge fan of how it sounds, and would never use it live, but seen that done too.

Side note: the tools I use the most in my practice are AmazingSlow Downer, iRealPro and a BOSS Looper.
    bbwood_98MattHenry
  • Paulius VolkovasPaulius Volkovas ✭✭✭
    This app is like a modern take on a realbook. The biggest features are the ability to transpose tunes instantly and have different playlists for different gigs.i often write my own charts with this app.
    bbwood_98
  • bbwood_98bbwood_98 Brooklyn, NyProdigy Vladimir music! Les Effes. . Its the best!
    Guys, Don't forget in the playback controls (under the graduation cap icon) there are tools for transposing in sequence, and changing the tempo up- so you can use it to learn in all 12 keys, and at increasing speeds if you like!
    pickitjohn
  • MattHenryMattHenry Washington, DC✭✭✭✭
    edited October 2014 Posts: 131
    Also, you absolutely have to own it. Buy it and never look back. No more printing charts and shuffling around at gigs. Just get a cheap Android tablet and your golden.

375 GJ charts imported for free as soon as you've installed it. 1300 jazz standards, another 750 dixieland charts, 150 Brazilian tunes, and easily made charts for any extras or originals you care to create.

Creating playlists for gigs is super easy and invaluable when gigging with folks who don't know the GJ rep as well. Craig Bumgarner hipped me to it and I would never want to be without it at this point.

Not saying I want to look at charts for tunes I know - this is a sneaky bad habit and one I advise against, especially once you have a tablet with every tune imaginable on it.

But for learning, reading, sharing, playing along, and transposing it can't be beat.
    pickitjohn
  • lukejazzlukejazz Natchitoches, Louisiana✭✭✭ Dunn Belleville, Dupont MD50
    Well worth the money.
  • Some of the GJ tunes have rather odd chords.....cross check with another source or compare them to a version you like. Its quite easy to edit or create new versions
    The Magic really starts to happen when you can play it with your eyes closed
  • Joli GadjoJoli Gadjo Cardiff, UK✭✭✭✭ Derecho, Bumgarner - VSOP, AJL
    I used to carry a bunch of books, charts etc... really heavy. Now I just have a tablet. Most Gypsy Jazz charts are based on Matt Mitchell's 2008 Djangobook which is odd at times, but it's good enough to get you started.
    Ideally, I would love to see Finale or Sibelius come up with something similar (with dots), if anything for the transposition feature.
    - JG
  • while they do sometimes need efiting, I too use my iPad iRealPro for chords, forscore for pdfs of lead sheets. Mix contol for Mackie 1608
    The Magic really starts to happen when you can play it with your eyes closed