DjangoBooks.com

Tchan Tchou Vidal acoustic lost tapes

pickitjohnpickitjohn South Texas Corpus, San Antonio, AustinVirtuoso Patenotte 260
in History Posts: 936
First off...

Thanks to Samy Daussat for posting these on you tube :-c

Great to hear some Tchan Tchou Vidal I hadn't had heard.

While checking out his channel I came across Paul Pata, I'd like to know more about him and if possible some of his recordings would be a treat.

Hope you ENJOY

pick on

pickitjohn :peace:
Jazzaferri

Comments

• Teddy DupontTeddy Dupont Deity
    edited October 2014 Posts: 1,261
    This is typical of Paul Pata's playing:-

Jazzaferriadrian
    A rare photo of Paul Pata recently posted on facebook.
  • pickitjohnpickitjohn South Texas Corpus, San Antonio, AustinVirtuoso Patenotte 260
    edited October 2014 Posts: 936
    Thanks @Teddy Dupont

Great picture,That video is the one on Sammy's youtube channel that got me asking the question.

pick on

• tophtoph ✭✭
    Wow! Thanks for the Paul Pata link! Very refreshing to hear someone play without a hundred pointless notes per chorus.
  • scotscot Virtuoso
    Paul Pata claimed to be Baro Ferret's son. He made three albums, all similar recordings of French popular songs played very simply on guitar, a style of music usually referred to as "soupe". Pata's recorded music is pretty much undistinguished - it's French pop music from the 60s. The records are a good place to learn these tunes, though. I don't know if he played jazz or not - none of the people I talked to who knew him had much to say one way or another about his playing.

Henri Crolla also made a record or three in this style and was a much more sensitive and sophisticated player who could play these popular melodies in a very Parisien and jazzy manner - not "soupe" at all. Many examples are on youtube.
    Jazzaferripickitjohn
  • pickitjohnpickitjohn South Texas Corpus, San Antonio, AustinVirtuoso Patenotte 260
    thanks @Scot
    pretty Vanilla playing wasn't really wowed!

found more info...
    sure do Love the net and how generous people are Patrus site certainly has lots of info, pictures, tunes, and video's, gotta spend some time there.
    Thanks @patrus le sommelier

http://www.patrus53.com/paul-pata

From Patrus 53 website other tunes to check out

Paul Pata, son of Bar Ferret, was also the cousin of Laro Sollero. Paul Pata also played in Sarane Ferret’s band.

pick on

• tophtoph ✭✭
    @scot A finely crafted soupe is nothing to be scoffed at as any chef can attest. I tend to value simplicity. Negative space can be very powerful.
  • scotscot Virtuoso
    Don't get me wrong - I like these recordings just fine and have all three of them. "Soupe" was just the name given to this type of music by jazz musicians in Paris. Here this style of music was often called schmaltz or hokum and probably other unflattering names as well. Though there is some modest improvisation on Pata's records, they are certainly not jazz, and there is no perceptible influence by Django or any other French jazz guitarist. Stylistically, these records don't have much to do with the music normally discussed on this group - OK, maybe as a cultural curiosity from a particular time and place. These records are simply professionally played 60s instrumental pop versions of French popular songs, quite pleasant for casual listening, just as they were intended to be. I certainly have no criticisms of that idiom, as I have enjoyed the N American style (Ventures, etc) all my life: http://www.waybackattack.com/top100-instrumentals.html
  • rob.cuellarirob.cuellari ✭✭✭✭
    What are the tracks on that tchan tchou clip?