DjangoBooks.com

Welcome to our Community!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Who's Online (0)

Related Discussions

Today's Birthdays

asura Simon Terrell himmelstrutz

GJ chord substitutions?

sockeyesockeye Philadelphie sur SchuylkillNew
edited March 2006 in Gypsy Jazz 101 Posts: 415
Does anyone have any good tips on chord substitutions in this idiom?

Advance warning: I know very little about jazz theory so some of what I say below may be incorrect.

I noticed while working on "Blues in Minuer" in Gm that when I go to the Cm6 (IVm6) that chord has a tritone in the m3-6 note pair -- the same interval shows up in the VIIm6, in other words F#m6 (2x12xx). So instead of 2 bars of Cm6 it sounds quite nice if I play 6 beats of Cm6 and then 2 of F#m6 and then back to Gm6.

Would that be a typical GJ sub?

Similarly, when I go to the V7 chord (D7) there's a tritone interval between F# and C. The same interval is in a G#7 but that doesn't sound right resolving to the tonic minor 3rd. The tritone is also in an Ebm6 (x3434x). This sub sounds quite nice, again for the last 2 beats before resolving back to the tonic.

Again, is that something that seems like a reasonable sub for this idiom?

Any tips on books or websites to help me understand which subs I might use where would be appreciated...

Comments

• JackJack western Massachusetts✭✭✭✭
    I think a lot of what you can 'get away' with depends on the soloist-I know I've come up with things that sound great in isolation (practicing alone at home), but clash like hell once a lead voice is added. Often it's because of things similar to the examples you mention above: if you look again at the notes, you can still think of them as Cm (ex1) and D7 (ex2), but with altered chord tones (b5 in the Cm, #5 and b9 in the D7). Depending on what kind of sound you're after, things could get confusing.

That said-if the band likes it, I say go for it! These days I don't actually use true substitutions all that much, but instead use different voicings of the same chord. Simple example for Blues Mineur (Gm 6 beats, Gm 2 beats, into Cm...):

--x--------x------8---
    --5--------8------8---
    --3--------7------8---
    --5--------8------7---
    --5--------7------x---
    --3--------x------8---

hope that helps...

Best,
    Jack.
  • sockeyesockeye Philadelphie sur SchuylkillNew
    Thanks for the tips, guys!

John