DjangoBooks.com

How much for a good violin?

Charles MeadowsCharles Meadows WV✭✭✭ ALD Original, Dupont MD50
in Welcome Posts: 432
So after a few lessons with Tcha Limberger I have pulled out the violin again. I'm mostly a guitar player but have done some basic bluegrass fiddle stuff. I have an Asian import finished by a local fiddle guy (Joe Dobbs) which cost about $900. I think if I keep up practice I'll outgrow it. For those of you who know much about gypsy violin what would you recommend? Older violin? New luthier violin? Any good places to look? Also curious what a typical cost would be for a "good" instrument. I know that in the right hands (like Tcha) even a cheap violin will sound good but... Thanks!

Comments

• murrayatuptownmurrayatuptown Holland, MI✭✭
    I sent a PM to you...long-winded so it seemed better to do that way.

Anyone else interested in violin-through-bass builds and restorations...

Grand Rapids, Michigan area but has clients throughout the US and internationally.

http://www.guarnerihousellc.com/
    https://www.aaronsinstruments.com/

Murray
  • edited November 2014 Posts: 3,707
    It's not just the violin but a good bowl helps a good deal as well. If you let me know your budget I will ask our violinist. He was very fortunate in finding a good violin for 3K....his bow was half as much again....and I was astonished at the difference when he played with a cheapo bow to demonstrate. He is classically trained and has great tone.
    The Magic really starts to happen when you can play it with your eyes closed
  • Charles MeadowsCharles Meadows WV✭✭✭ ALD Original, Dupont MD50
    3K plus a bow would not be out of the question. Any thoughts on French, Italian, German, etc?
  • JasonSJasonS New
    I wouldn't worry about the origin so much. The sky is really the limit as far as cost. The best thing to do would be go somewhere where you can play a LOT of violins and you'll eventually find "the one."
  • MacKeaganMacKeagan
    Really best to visit a shop and try a few. Advice from articles by classical violinists generally recommend trying no more than 3 violins or bows per shop visit. Most "general" music shops don't like it, but serious violin shops will let you play a violin for 15 mins to half-hour or more. And sometimes one can find nice violins for cheap at estate sales, yard sales, etc. The real yardstick is if you like the feel, appearance, and tone. I own one "classic violin" estimated at $4K worth, which, while beautiful in appearance, and tone, requires effort to play with good tone. My under $500 specials have a nice feel and I can pull a tone easily (but they have top cracks and some dings. Happy hunting!
  • edited November 2014 Posts: 3,707
    Robert plays a violin made in China. He went through a large batch to find this one. If you know what to look for Asian made can give the best value for money at the low to mid points. Above 10k I think it's mostly European or North American luthiers still. Keep in mind 10k is still a mid priced violin........eeeeek.

IN the lower mid range which until I speak to Robert tonight I'm guessing is between 1-3 I think it's a matter of trying as many as you can until you find a good un regardless of where it's made.
  • Al WatskyAl Watsky New JerseyVirtuoso
    Around here "good" starts at 4-6k for the fiddle and 2 k for a bow.
    If you know some dealers it helps.
    Go to the shops and meet the dealers play some fiddles.
    If your lucky and you take your time something will fall in your lap.
    You may not know exactly what a fiddle sounds like unless you listen to someone else play it. Theres usually some one at the shop that is there for just that purpose .
    In the beginning you won't know what your hearing one way or another and your tone won't be much.
    Plan on buying several instruments over several years.
    Enjoy the journey.
    Bang for the buck ?
    Chinese.
    I like older instruments.
    100-200 years old , they start to sound good.
    They hold their value.
    Nice to have around.
    The modern instruments sound great but in my experience have a different response.
    I prefer an instrument that has been broken in and that takes years in the case of a fiddle.
  • Charles MeadowsCharles Meadows WV✭✭✭ ALD Original, Dupont MD50
    Thanks. This is what I'm looking for. For now my experience is limited to a bit of bluegrass fiddle, mostly open position stuff! I have nowhere near the skills needed to justify a real good violin now. But maybe in a few years. Just thinking. I have a lot of experience when it comes to mandos and bluegrass guitars and pretty well know what you get for your money. But no idea when it comes to fiddles. Now I've got a $900 asian fiddle and a $100 bow. Definitely NOT a pro sound!
  • To get a decent violin here is 3K and up and 2k for a bow.

Best shot at blue is knowing a good violinist who is moving up.
  • BohemianBohemian State of Jefferson✭✭✭✭
    In another life I hustled violins. This was in the 80's.
    My wife is a very fine player, I do not play.

I came by way of violin through brokering pernambuco for violin bows.

I have purchased extraordinary violins and bows for as little as $100...
    vintage name brand French and German bows and Czech, Hungarian, Italian, Japanese and American violins.

It was quite an education. I paid dearly for my ignorance and when I gained some knowledge and confidence, I gave it up.

I won't go through the list but I have purchased violins worth thousands for hundreds and instruments worth hundreds for dollars. Same applies to bows.

I haven't looked lately but with the internet and E-bay I see mediocre instruments going for far more than they are worth and owners holding on
    to what they believe are gems but are factory made production units finished in tinted lacquer. I have seen better instruments from China.. And instruments labeled for eastern Europe have the appearance of the better quality Chinese instruments.. yet re-labeled. The Chinese instruments are worth considering

KNOW THY DEALER.