DjangoBooks.com

Django had an affair with actress, Maggie Smith!

Rob MacKillopRob MacKillop Edinburgh, Scotland✭✭✭✭
in Welcome Posts: 201
A friend of mine has just told me about a new film called "My old Lady" - Kevin Kline, Maggie Smith and Kristin Scott-Thomas. Not the stuff Oscars are made of but thought provoking re infidelity and its long term fallout. His favourite bit was Maggie Smith talking about the fling she'd had with Django Reinhardt in the 1940s...Who knew? ;-)

Comments

• Lango-DjangoLango-Django Niagara-On-The-Lake, ONModerator
    edited December 2014 Posts: 1,852
    Maybe the two of them had clandestine rendezvous at that Paris train station that was featured in the movie "Hugo" which had a Django character playing guitar at the tea shoppe...

http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0970179/
    Rob MacKillop
    Paul Cezanne: "I could paint for a thousand years without stopping and I would still feel as though I knew nothing."

Edgar Degas: "Only when he no longer knows what he is doing does the painter do good things.... To draw, you must close your eyes and sing."

Georges Braque: "In art there is only one thing that counts: the bit that can’t be explained."
  • Rob MacKillopRob MacKillop Edinburgh, Scotland✭✭✭✭
    Anything's possible in a make-believe world ;-)
  • Bob HoloBob Holo Moderator
    edited December 2014 Posts: 1,252

Haha... True true. The timing is a bit off as I think she was still a teen when Django died in his mid 50's.

But if they were nearer in age, he'd definitely have taken an interest. My wife and I saw something she'd done back in the day. We both thought: "That's... Professor McGonagal?"

Young Maggie was all that...

IMHO

http://media-cache-ec0.pinimg.com/736x/b7/4f/5b/b74f5b36ea4f003a1033bc723db57047.jpg
    You get one chance to enjoy this day, but if you're doing it right, that's enough.
  • Russell LetsonRussell Letson Prodigy
    She was Desdemona to Olivier's Othello back in 1965--still one of the best productions I've seen. (Frank Finlay's Iago is wonderful, too.)
  • Rob MacKillopRob MacKillop Edinburgh, Scotland✭✭✭✭
    Everyone in Edinburgh knows and loves her performance in The Prime Of Miss Jean Brodie, about a school teacher in Edinburgh between the two world wars. And, of course, as Professor McGonagal.
    @Bob Holo I wish he lived until his mid 50s, we would have gotten around 10 more years of his music. I know, you meant mid 50s, not his mid 50s... ;)
    Every note wants to go somewhere-Kurt Rosenwinkel
  • Bob HoloBob Holo Moderator
    edited December 2014 Posts: 1,252

Haha, wow. Helluva Freudian slip.

Wish it were so...
    Rob MacKillop
    You get one chance to enjoy this day, but if you're doing it right, that's enough.
  • edited December 2014 Posts: 3,707
    Was Django up in Oxford in 51 or 52? Don't have any recollection of that. In 1949 she would have turned 15. Seems unlikely.
    The Magic really starts to happen when you can play it with your eyes closed
  • Lango-DjangoLango-Django Niagara-On-The-Lake, ONModerator
    Jay, it was the "French old lady" movie character played by Maggie Smith who claimed to have had the affair, not Maggie herself.
    Rob MacKillopkevorkazito
    Paul Cezanne: "I could paint for a thousand years without stopping and I would still feel as though I knew nothing."

Edgar Degas: "Only when he no longer knows what he is doing does the painter do good things.... To draw, you must close your eyes and sing."

Georges Braque: "In art there is only one thing that counts: the bit that can’t be explained."
  • Paul MehlingPaul Mehling sf CA✭✭✭
    Thats the Hot Club of San Francisco in place of actual Reinhardt records in the film!
    Rob MacKillop