DjangoBooks.com

Hollow out a flat bridge

teletoddteletodd Strongsville Ohio Huttle jazz
in Welcome Posts: 27
The bridge on my Cordoba D5 is flat all across. Was thinking about scooping out the underside to create feet in each end, and then trying to hollow out the area in between. Any suggestions for tools that might work?

Comments

• Al WatskyAl Watsky New JerseyVirtuoso
    If you have access to hand tools , say a set of V gouges and various chisels , those for hand and mallet use. You're good to go.
    Lay out the job in pencil and go to it.
    If you have machine tools , a mill or lathe, you can use the correct cutter heads or bits and get it done.
    Good luck.
    Have some band aids on hand.

Craig Bumgarner
  • JehuJehu New Zealand✭✭✭
    Al's definitely got the way to go. As a low/no skill alternative, you could use a rasp for the bit between the feet. Then for the hollow, drill a series of holes and clear out the waste with a chisel.

And yes, band aids!
  • teletoddteletodd Strongsville Ohio Huttle jazz
    Maybe a dremmel sander?
  • JehuJehu New Zealand✭✭✭
    Sure, but be sure to add a dust mask to those band aids.

If this is a one time thing, go for it. But if you plan to do more of this kind of stuff, the sooner you get used to using sharp edged tools the better.
  • teletoddteletodd Strongsville Ohio Huttle jazz
    When it comes to intricate woodworking, I'm about as sharp as a marble.
  • pickitjohnpickitjohn South Texas Corpus, San Antonio, AustinVirtuoso Patenotte 260
    @teletodd
    If you haven't read the Related Discussions post at the bottom right corner of the page your in for a treat...

To be on the safe side is very important especially if you like playing guitar.
    To choose to play with two fingers and to have too play with two is quite another.

I have used a Dental Grinding machine and a Dremmel on several Bridges to reduce mass. When at all possible I prefer to clamp the material in a wood vice or Jorgenson clamp

:peace: