DjangoBooks.com

Comments

• MichaelHorowitzMichaelHorowitz SeattleAdministrator
    Congrats to Nick on his first publication!
  • Lango-DjangoLango-Django Niagara-On-The-Lake, ONModerator
    edited February 2015 Posts: 1,855
    Michael, I'm delighted that you and Nick got together on this and impressed at how quickly, too.

I' ll be phoning in my order later today.

Will

PS Nick, I'm curious about the process you went through in writing this and what gave you the idea to do it in the first place, etc. etc.

I think a little interview with the author right here at djangobooks.com would be wonderful, and probably good for sales, too... could be a video or short article.
    Paul Cezanne: "I could paint for a thousand years without stopping and I would still feel as though I knew nothing."

Edgar Degas: "Only when he no longer knows what he is doing does the painter do good things.... To draw, you must close your eyes and sing."

Georges Braque: "In art there is only one thing that counts: the bit that can’t be explained."
  • nicksansonenicksansone Amsterdam, The Netherlands✭✭✭✭
    edited February 2015 Posts: 274
    Hi Lango-Django, I guess the majority of the material was planned out for working at the Grappelli-Django camp here in Holland, mostly aimed at people who understood the rhythm guitar role and were looking to start improvising. Most of the "beginners" already had a background in other musical styles, and whether completely new to guitar or an expert in other areas, I thought it would be helpful to start with the idomatic concepts components that gave Django his sound. I'm certainly not a genius guitar player, but after analysing and transcribing alot of Django's solos, it becomes pretty clear what framework he develops his great ideas out of. I was lucky enough to study with Fapy, and living in Holland has brought a some great sessions with Rino, Jan de Jong and Reinier Voet; so I've been inspired to produce something in their honor. I also remember buying the Ian Cruishank "Django's Gypsies" book which was loaded with really cool pictures, so I used alot of pictures from my travels to give it a similar feel.
    A special thanks to Michael for graciously offering to put the book for sale on the site, and for the speed at which he accomplished it. It's always been a pleasure doing business with him over the years and I appreciate the chance to share something I am passionate about on this internationally renound site. I hope you like the book, and please let me know. Thanks, Nick
    BucoMichaelHorowitz