DjangoBooks.com

Samois 2015 Anyone Going?

Micheal IrwinMicheal Irwin ✭✭
in Europe Posts: 49
Really excited to finally make this festival. No line up posted yet, I'm assuming the dates are the last full weekend of June. Need to book a room soon, Fontainbleau I guess is the nearest town with accommodations. Anyone else going?

Comments

• wimwim ChicagoModerator Barault #503 replica
    I'm going! Highly recommend you to stay at the campsite. That's where the magic of the festival really happens. It will be my 4th Samois, and the one time that I took a nice hotel in Fontainbleau it was not a great idea - it's a drag getting to the festival and back and you will miss all the fun at Samoreau.

This year I will stay a month before and after in Paris aswell, haunt all the Djams each night, and generally burn through ridiculous amounts of cash savings ... c'est la vie
  • JonJon melbourne, australiaProdigy Dupont MD50B, '79 Favino
    I'm going - staying at Samoreau also, and agree with Wim.
  • Kevin FurnissKevin Furniss France✭✭ AJL 503 XO
    +1 - We stayed in Fontainbleau last time (our first Samois) and as nice as it was and they layed on buses down to the island which was good, this time we are staying at one of the campsites.
  • Lango-DjangoLango-Django Niagara-On-The-Lake, ONModerator

I'm going. My wife and I will be staying at the Country Club Hotel right in Samois.

This will be right in the middle of a monthlong trip around Europe.

Here's my predicament... I'd really, really, really like to have a guitar to jam with while I'm at Samois...

But lugging my guitar around with me all over Europe before and after the festival would a pain...

So I'd love to be able to rent one for just a few days...

I wonder if any of our European djangobooks.com members would be willing to bring an extra guitar to Samois for me to rent?

Will
    Paul Cezanne: "I could paint for a thousand years without stopping and I would still feel as though I knew nothing."

Edgar Degas: "Only when he no longer knows what he is doing does the painter do good things.... To draw, you must close your eyes and sing."

Georges Braque: "In art there is only one thing that counts: the bit that can’t be explained."
    Im taking at least one and unless I make great strides between now and then I wont be needing them till 2016 the earliest :)

• Lango-DjangoLango-Django Niagara-On-The-Lake, ONModerator
    edited February 2015 Posts: 1,855
    Bon courage, mon vieux. Why don't you join us international jet-setters at the Country Club?
    Paul Cezanne: "I could paint for a thousand years without stopping and I would still feel as though I knew nothing."

Edgar Degas: "Only when he no longer knows what he is doing does the painter do good things.... To draw, you must close your eyes and sing."

Georges Braque: "In art there is only one thing that counts: the bit that can’t be explained."
    If all goes to plan we are en famille @ Le Petite Barbeau.

• adrianadrian AmsterdamVirtuoso
    Here's my predicament... I'd really, really, really like to have a guitar to jam with while I'm at Samois...

But lugging my guitar around with me all over Europe before and after the festival would a pain...

So I'd love to be able to rent one for just a few days...

The one time I went to Samois (2011), I didn't bring a guitar due to the hassle and stress of bringing it on an international flight. I figured there would be tons of guitars there and I could find one to play. Big mistake.

I was fortunate enough to borrow a guitar one night from a friend who went to bed early, but otherwise I missed out on a lot of potential jamming due to not having an instrument.

Granted, you're taking the initiative and looking for somebody to rent one from. If you can't find an instrument to rent for whatever reason, I highly recommend biting the bullet and bringing your own guitar. Good luck!

Adrian
    I might buy a small rental fleet of GJ Guitars and put them in the boot of the car when we go !
    Whats the going rate for a reasonably good GJ Guitare and 2 spare Sets of strings for a week ?
  • RussigRussig Anchorage Dupont MD-60
    Lango- on the lugging-guitar-around-Europe topic, a friend of mine went to Samois (and beyond) and brought a Baby Taylor in a gig bag. It's not optimum but allowed him to practice and jam, and once in the jams was sometimes able to swap guitars with others who were curious about the Taylor. Sounds like he got to try out some pretty nice guitars that way too.