DjangoBooks.com

Early 2000s Dell Arte Guitars??

jonpowljonpowl Hercules, CA✭✭✭ Dupont MD-100, Altamira M01F
Any opinions on the early 2000-2005 Dell Arte guitars made in the US? Are they holding their value and similar in quality to European guitars of the same era? How do they compare sound wise? Any help appreciated, thanks! Any great players using them? For example, it seems there is usually some finish checking on the older ones.

Comments

• Charles MeadowsCharles Meadows WV✭✭✭ ALD Original, Dupont MD50
    Angelo Debarre used a Dell Arte Favino copy for most of his live and recorded stuff from that period.
  • pickitjohnpickitjohn South Texas Corpus, San Antonio, AustinVirtuoso Patenotte 260
    edited March 2015 Posts: 936
    @jonpowl
    I am very pleased with the two Dell Arte guitars in my care.
    A 2005 Hommage D Hole,
    Having never even seen a Favino let alone played one, I can only say that sorting thru older post I remember Michael saying John Kinnard's copy were very good.
    Fit and finish is better then the 1 Dupont MD50 I've seen.
    Sound is very full and even all over the neck, no problem with checking.

2000 Swing 42
    OMG it's just amazing
    Very Loud, balanced, and cutting sound also no checking.

My advice would be if you can play it and it feels right you'll know it.
    The three Dell Arte's I have played were all better then the Gitanes or Altamira I've had.

An American hand made Guitar for usually between $1500 to $2300 is a Great Deal.

Just my personal experience

There's a 2000 DELL ARTE MINOR SWING on ebay with 34 hours left, bid is at $950.00 plus the seller has a 14 days money back, buyer pays return shipping.
    Bid your best offer in the Last 10 seconds.

THE PICTURE IS THE 2000 Swing 42 not the ebay auction
    Buco
  • cardonacardona New
    I have a 2002 Anouman by John Kinnard. Spoke with John - he told me he was using Engleman spruce at the time. Outrageous guitar, LOUD, beautiful workmanship. I would highly recommend John's work from that period.
  • StringswingerStringswinger Santa Cruz and San Francisco, CA✭✭✭✭ 1993 Dupont MD-20, Shelley Park Encore
    I had an early 2000's Dell Arte Anouman that was an amazing guitar. I Once compared it to a vintage Selmer D hole and sound wise and volume wise it was just as good. I regret letting that guitar go.

But, I also had an early 2000's Jimmy Rosenberg model that was pretty mediocre soundwise, though it had superb fit and finish and beautiful woods.

So I would say some are great, some are not.

Play before you buy...

Cheers, Marc
    www.hotclubpacific.Com
    "When the chord changes, you should change" Joe Pass
  • StevearenoSteveareno ✭✭✭
    edited March 2015 Posts: 349
    I've owned a 2004 Dell Arte Studio Hommage for about 8 years. Hand signed by John Kinnard. It has a mahogany body, bear claw spruce top, faux tortoise binding, very thin low gloss finish. Love the Favino size body. Big, wide neck with the slightly squareish shaped profile (ebony board). Great tone with strong mids and quite dry (not plinky or wet sounding). When I was living in LA, I would see the occasional new one at McCabes, or Westwood Music. Sometimes used ones would pop up on Craig's List. They're excellent guitars IMHO. There were a few made in China quite a while ago, but they stopped and I believe they're back to being all hand built in San Diego. That may have caused some confusion with the brand.
    Swang on,
  • cardonacardona New
    Yes- John's handmade guitars should not be confused with the imports bearing the Dell Arte' name. An unsuspecting buyer could easily overpay by 2K or more.
  • StringswingerStringswinger Santa Cruz and San Francisco, CA✭✭✭✭ 1993 Dupont MD-20, Shelley Park Encore
    The 90's Dell Artes were made in Mexico by Luis Sevillano. The 2000's California Dell Artes were made by John Kinnard and his crew, except the Pigalle model which used a Chinese Body (Dell Arte made the neck, bridge, did the paint and used high quality tailpieces and tuners). Then there were the Chinese Dell Artes. A buyer should know what they are buying....
    "When the chord changes, you should change" Joe Pass
  • AndrewUlleAndrewUlle Cleveland, OH✭✭✭ Cigano GJ-15
    Is there a way to read the serial number as to date & manufacture for the Asian built and Asian hybrids?
  • jonpowljonpowl Hercules, CA✭✭✭ Dupont MD-100, Altamira M01F
    Thanks for the great info everybody! Keep it coming if you have more tips....
  • pickitjohnpickitjohn South Texas Corpus, San Antonio, AustinVirtuoso Patenotte 260
    edited March 2015 Posts: 936
    All the hand made By John Kinnard will say so on the Label.and also made in California.

@Stringswinger
    But, I also had an early 2000's Jimmy Rosenberg model that was pretty mediocre soundwise, though it had superb fit and finish and beautiful woods.

my 2005 Hommage was a wall hanger till I got a tonerite. I went to see the grandkids had it vibrating for the week I was gone and came home to a GREAT GUITAR.
    Best $129.00 I spent, mine is always on and I just move it from guitar to guitar.
    I believe Michael has a 30 Day return policy more then enough time to see if it helps. I would give it a try if you were in Texas I'd let you borrow it. I'm a Believer.

http://www.djangobooks.com/Item/tonerite-guitar-3g