DjangoBooks.com

Joscho - With Stochelo, Bireli, and Tommy.

kungfumonk007kungfumonk007 ✭✭✭✭
in Welcome Posts: 421
New album of duets - mind blowing talent!

Comments

So the day has finally come.
    This is great!
    I would've loved if Vlatko Stefanovski was there, since he's been doing stuff with Tommy and Stochelo. Maybe next time Joscho will invite him too.
    Thanks for heads up.
    Every note wants to go somewhere-Kurt Rosenwinkel
  • edited March 2015 Posts: 4,730
    Got the album.
    I love listening to the trading solos between Joscho and whoever in on the right channel, Joscho is always on the left.
    Tommy could tone down on laughs, shouts and giggles though. But that's Tommy. And his sound works for the most part although you can hear the lack of the attack in the flat top sound and the very low action which makes notes fret out when he digs in with a pick.
    Hey Joe isn't my favorite cover. Joscho is playing open chords on the intro which just doesn't go with Jimmy's style and then they kick it into LaPompe which while technically works, it doesn't showcase the song in the best light I thought.
    But I just love, love listening to Joscho trading solos with Bireli and Stochelo.
    I'm actually very pleasantly surprised that they agreed to do the album together.
    That's the joyful part of this album and I hope there's more to come.

Oh and I finally dug out which guitar Joscho plays, Volkert (Jurgen Volkert). I know he used Hoyer in his early years but never knew about his recent instruments.
    renzok
  • kungfumonk007kungfumonk007 ✭✭✭✭
    I really appreciate that Joscho is kind of a fearless guitarist who really asserts his own flavor in the dish :0), not really being afraid to mix it up with a lot of different songs, genres, and players. He sometimes gets a bad rap because people like to share his burners over youtube, but if you actually listen to an album, or go to his concerts, they are quite versatile and sensitive. Large dynamic contrast between songs and within songs are really a great trademark where he will come really down and make you listen while he plays an entire chorus in sensitive harmonics, and then build it back up again. But then maybe the next song he will burn, and that is all people share on youtube, they tend not to pass around the sensitive moments, which is a shame.
    GuitGuy
    I also love that he plays with Tommy, Adam Rafferty, and guitarists outside the genre. I think he brings more people into the genre that way than perhaps any other artist. Let's face it, Tommy is probably the most popular and well known acoustic guitarist right now.
  • edited March 2015 Posts: 4,730
    You're right about genre mixing.
    I noticed lately GJ players doing Travis style fingerpicking including Joscho and my theory is that it came to the genre through Joscho's performances at Chat Atkins Appreciation Society gathering and his friendships with those guys especially Richard Smith who in turn started doing a lot more GJ stuff after becoming friends with Joscho and them performing together.

You say he plays with Adam Raferty?
    I gotta look for that. Adam is one of my favorite guitar players but I learned about him through Pandora's pick, never knew he mingled with our hero.
  • BonesBones Moderator
    edited March 2015 Posts: 3,319
    Wow, that is a must have IMHO.

Will this be available from Djangobooks store?
    Adam, Tommy, and Joscho all did a little tour together in Germany I believe. I've looked for it on youtube and don't think anyone has posted anything. Definitely Richard Smith too, I know he has shown Joscho a lot of things that he now uses.
    there's this video, Adam and Joscho:

Adam did such a killer solo, holly cow so good.
    pickitjohn
  • pickitjohnpickitjohn South Texas Corpus, San Antonio, AustinVirtuoso Patenotte 260
    Talk about precious moments...
    Did they ever have a FEW
    Bravo
  • definitely some great moments.
    The Magic really starts to happen when you can play it with your eyes closed