DjangoBooks.com

Practice Routines

montemonte
in Technique Posts: 23
Hi guys
Want to get some perspective on some of the forum's practice routines and tips. I currently follow the following:

- clap on 2 and 4 beats with metronome
- fingers warm-up exercise
- minor swing chord progression with metronome starting at 60 and climbing to 200
- dark eyes chord progression (same as above, but not as fast yet)
- learning the intro to Montagne Ste-Genevieve

For me, this is enough to keep me busy because i am new to GJ and still trying to memorize the songs too. I have problems hearing chord changes when listening to recordings. Anyone else experience that?

Currently playing on an Eastman arch top acoustic. Have a DG-255 on order with Michael. have only been playing GJ for about a month and taking lessons with Stephane Wremble.

I know i have a long way to go, but i truly enjoy the genre and it is NOT boring at all.

Any tips-stories are much appreciated
Thanks
Monte

Comments

• DragonPLDragonPL Maryland✭✭ Dupont MD 50-XL (Favino), Michael Dunn Stardust, Castelluccia Tears, Yunzhi gypsy jazz guitar, Gitane DG-320, DG-250M and DG-250
    Why only the 'intro' to Montagne Ste-Genevieve, and how far does the intro last to?? just the em add9 run?
    The whole tune is great arpeggio workout...
  • montemonte
    thanks for that response Stuart.
    i use a regime currently because i have a curriculum to follow from stephane. i know it all about rhythm right now. i have to work on the assignments he gives me. i work 10 hours a day so practice time is limited, but i do my best.

love this line "Gypsy Jazz is for life, not just for Christmas".

@dragonPL - i am practicing the intro currently because that is as far as i got with stephane.

Thanks
    Monte
  • Stephane is the man. He set me right. Listen and do what he says and you will definitely improve.
  • MichaelHorowitzMichaelHorowitz SeattleAdministrator
    @monte You're very lucky to be studying with Stephane! He will save you years of frustration and deadends. Good luck!
  • I have been trying practicing extremely slowly over the past few weeks and am amazed at how quickly fluency in a motion can be achieved. How slowly, try several seconds between know chord to new voicing. Glacial, feeling every little motion. Do that for a few minutes a very relaxed state of mind and see how it works for you.
    T1mothy
    The Magic really starts to happen when you can play it with your eyes closed
  • JonJon melbourne, australiaProdigy Dupont MD50B, '79 Favino
    Sounds good! Practice routines will be different for everyone depending on where you are at and what your problems are, but it sounds like you have an awesome teacher and a good plan.

Some advice for hearing chord progressions: It helps if you have a good idea exactly what it is you are listening for (so you're not just guessing) - there's a fixed, and fairly small number of "normal" progressions in this music (ie ii-V-I, I-I7-IV-iv, I-VI-II-V, etc etc). If you don't already know what these are, find out. Almost all the songs you'll learn are just combinations of about 5 or 6 patterns.

1. Now practice playing them (one at a time) in a few keys on your guitar.
    2. Now practice singing the bass notes of the progression you're studying.
    3. Now find some songs that have that chord progression in them (look quickly at the charts to work this out).
    4. Now listen to that song without the chart and try and identify where the chords come round (listen carefully to the bass - this helps a lot)
    5. Now listen to some other songs without looking at the charts and listen out specifically for the chord progression you are working on, without knowing when or if those chords will turn up)
    6. When you hear one, check with a chart to see if you were right.
    7. If you don't hear one at all after a few listens, check with a chart to see if you missed it.

Repeat ad infinitum :)

Hope that helps, Jon
    GuitGuyJazzaferri
  • T1mothyT1mothy ✭✭ Furch petite bouche
    @Jazzaferri Ive been trying to incorporate this approach when doing some exercises and it does wonders!
    Jazzaferri