DjangoBooks.com

Resonator D holes

in Welcome Posts: 6
Hello,
First time here so please be kind.
Could I please ask some of the experts here some makes and models D hole Maccaferri-type guitars that also have an copy of the original resonator. All copies that I can find don't have one so I'm guessing there aren't too many.
Also what would be the best price best quality copy with a resonator?

Many Thanks

Comments

Michael Dunn makes D holes with internal resonator but his is from what I remember a refined design from the original. There aren't a whole lot people that have a positive opinion on the resonator impact. Here's one thread from last year about it:
    http://www.djangobooks.com/forum/discussion/285/the-maccaferri-resonator-pro-and-con/p1
    Although there is one person that likes it and his opinion counts more than most, Rino van Hooijdonk. But even he said that the advantage of a resonator isn't more volume but that it acts like an EQ to the internal box and makes the sound balanced, less boomy and gives better projection.

Welcome to the forum.
    Every note wants to go somewhere-Kurt Rosenwinkel
  • AndrewUlleAndrewUlle Cleveland, OH✭✭✭ Cigano GJ-15
    Thanks guys - I've read a lot about the resonators and everything on here before I posted and I think the final answer has to be it's up to the individuals taste, but I was asking more because I've purchased a guitar that has one the same as the first Maccaferri design and it's old and I can't find any label so I'm trying to get a list of possibles. It looks very close to the early Selmers (exact rosette banding and wood and 12 fret) and it's not a MAC-10. The wood and finish is not good enough for the AJL or Michael Dunn. If it's not an obvious one I will try to post some photo's over the weekend. Cheers
  • Michael BauerMichael Bauer Chicago, ILProdigy Selmers, Busatos and more…oh my!
    Vince, what part of the world are you in. If you are near Chicago, I have a '32 Maccaferri with the 1st style resonator, and I just helped a friend get a '33 Selmer with the 2nd style resonator. Plus another friend has a Dunn with Michael's completely different style of resonator. You could bring yours and I'll have a look at it. Maybe we could get a better idea. Or PM me with pics if you are too far away.
    I've never been a guitar player, but I've played one on stage.
    Hi Michael, wow thanks - I wish I were in Chicago but I'm in Bristol U.K. but I would have loved that. Did they make the 1st style resonator after 33? I've read everything I can find on the net and searched through hundreds of images but not found the same thing. I will take some good photos and post them over the weekend. Thanks again.
  • If you can get your hands on a magic Dunn D Hole with resonator they are incredible.

I played Michaels personal D hole for a year whole he was building my oval hole with resonator. Best Sounding D hole I have ever heard. Quite different from the Selmers, which can be great too.
    The Magic really starts to happen when you can play it with your eyes closed
  • Michael BauerMichael Bauer Chicago, ILProdigy Selmers, Busatos and more…oh my!
    Vincent, no they switched, as best I can tell, to the second resonator design in mid-to-late-1933. That's kind of a guess, but they almost certainly came after Mario left in '33. Although with Selmer, there could have been 1st-generation resonators going out much later. They used up what they had. In fact, my buddy's '33 Selmer has a pre-patent number headstock, like my '32.

Sorry you are so far away, but if you ever find your way to Chicago, do look me up.

I'm personally not a fan of Dunns, but the guys that love them really love them. To me, something is missing in the sound. They just don't have that special something that screams "gypsy" to my ears. That said, Michael Dunn builds a quality instrument, and his guitars do have a unique sound (and look), and if that's the tone you are looking for, you might really like them. They are just not my cup of tea, that's all.
    I've never been a guitar player, but I've played one on stage.
    Thanks everyone - nothing exciting I'm afraid - I'm told it's a mac10 with a new neck. I didn't know they did the resonator.
    I quite like it though but it needs a new tailpiece and I might try for some replica selmer machine heads (anyone got anything going cheap that isn't a bird :) .

@stuart wow - that Konig is a beauty - the head reminds me of Disney in a good way.

@ MIchale & Jazzaferri I haven't had the chance to try a Dunn but I keep stumbling over images and they do look fantastic. He does look like one of the best and the prices aren't silly!
  • pickitjohnpickitjohn South Texas Corpus, San Antonio, AustinVirtuoso Patenotte 260
    Here is a good article with pictures about the internal resonator...

http://www.lutherie.net/resonate.html
  • klaatuklaatu Nova ScotiaProdigy Rodrigo Shopis D'Artagnan, 1950s Jacques Castelluccia
    @stuart wow - that Konig is a beauty - the head reminds me of Disney in a good way.

Yeah, what's with the Micky Mouse ears?
    Benny

"It's a great feeling to be dealing with material which is better than yourself, that you know you can never live up to."
    -- Orson Welles