DjangoBooks.com

Pickguard or no?

I have noticed it doesn't take long for Stochelo to wear away the finish where his right hand hits the top of the guitar. My experience with old Martins has been that the ones with a little top wear have the most mojo!

Anyone here feel strongly about having a pickguard or not?

Comments

• constantineconstantine New York✭✭✭✭ Geronimo Mateos
    Well he's a maniac so I can see needing it rather than pulling a Willie Nelson right thru the top! I think the vintage pick guards look great and also serve a good function.
  • JehuJehu New Zealand✭✭✭
    I find the clear ones to be tacky if you can notice them, but with a clean install you can make them practically invisible. I use an iPhone screen protector, and Frank Ford's method works very well:

http://www.frets.com/FretsPages/Luthier/Technique/Guitar/Pickguards/ClearGuard/clearguard1.html

It is only visible if you look very closely and at a certain angle. The only downside (aside from lack of mojo) will be that in the long term, you may get different UV exposure under the pickguard than in adjacent areas. I'm not too concerned for mine, but if you have an expensive guitar that might be a consideration.
  • BonesBones Moderator
    Removable. No adhesive necessary. Work well on my guitars.

http://kling-on.com/
  • Al WatskyAl Watsky New JerseyVirtuoso
    I don't tend to do damage to the tops of my guitars and do not install plates on vintage guitars and in fact have removed quite a few over the years.
    On the other hand, if I own a utility guitar that will be handed around at a session or loaned out , I always install a plate.
    I use the LMI self adhesive plate which is around .017 thick and always used a mist of water to eliminate air bubbles. Thats a technique used by folks in the trades to install mylar window treatments .
    You can't really see the plate.
    The problem with plates isn't the UV changing the color of the surrounding wood. The difficulty is that peoples picking and pawing often exceeds the dimension of the plate. So you see this unscratched area surrounded by a scratched area, which looks knarley after a few years.
    If you need a plate thats covering the whole top I guess I think your playing style is somewhat uncontrolled ;).
  • JehuJehu New Zealand✭✭✭
    That's why the baby Jesus invented polyurethane, no?
  • wimwim ChicagoModerator Barault #503 replica
    Pick guards are ugly and naff I really don't like the way they look. Conversely, don't mind a bit of scratches on the guitar it's cool. As long as you're not going to plow through the top completely.. and if you are, it's time to adjust your technique a little because it's certainly not necessary to dig into the top like that