DjangoBooks.com

Choosing between Alain Mazaud and Olivier Marin

Hi there.

Just asking if you could choose between buying a Alain Mazaud or a Olivier Marin without the possibility to play the guitar what would you choose?

Thank you very much for the help.

Comments

• Kevin FurnissKevin Furniss France✭✭ AJL 503 XO
    Doesn't help much, but you would have a preference if you were to have both of them side by side.
    I believe that but for now that is impossible...
    I now that guitars preferences are a personal thing but I just want to know what are the general opinion :) I think that they are both great guitars right?
  • Michael  LevitMichael Levit Ukraine
    I haven't played neither of those, but as to general opinion they are indeed both great guitars. And I think that Mazaud Vieux Paris is mostly thought after from his model range. Olivier Marin is quite tough to find... But guys of modern school( Adrien Moignard , Sebastian Giniaux , Benoit Convert, Gonzalo Bergara) all had at some point Olivier Marin guitars( correct me if I'm wrong). Anyway, I'm sure you'll be a happy man picking any of those))
  • Michael  LevitMichael Levit Ukraine
    As my individual opinion , I think I would pick an Olivier Marin :)
  • adrianadrian AmsterdamVirtuoso
    Obviously this is a personal decision, but here's my two cents. I have played both, and I preferred the Mazaud. The Mazaud I played was one of my all-time favorite gypsy-jazz guitars...!

It's important to keep perspective, though. Either way, you're going to be very happy. I don't think you can go wrong.
  • T1mothyT1mothy ✭✭ Furch petite bouche
    So you consider choosing a builder based on his reputation on this forum? I mean you have recordings on amazing players doing their best on these guitars so compare and go for what you like!
  • jonpowljonpowl Hercules, CA✭✭✭ Dupont MD-100, Altamira M01F
    New or used? I've heard the wait time for a Marin is long and then you have to pick it up in Spain. I don't know about Mazaud. Gonzalo's well played Marin apparently sold in a couple of days on this forum. Ultimately, you probably can't go wrong with either. Here is a link to Guitar Village near Paris and their selection of Mazaud: http://www.guitare-village.com/neuf/mazaud.php
    Thank for all the answers. I will not choose a Luthier based on this answers, but i will consider it :)
    I don't have for now the possibility to play on those guitars so I want to have as much as sure as I can.
    Going to Spain is not a problem :) but Paris....
    Perfect will be going to Samoir and play and hear some guitars, but it seems very dificult to do that.
    Can you tell me what is the result of the diferent woods in the sound of the Guitar?
    I think I will choose Red Cedar for the top and Walnut for back & sides, but what do you think?
  • jonpowljonpowl Hercules, CA✭✭✭ Dupont MD-100, Altamira M01F
    Be sure and try Eimers and Mateos guitars at Samois.