DjangoBooks.com

Neck scale length

Hi, new member Harry here. I have a question about scale lengths and how they relate to Selmer type guitars.I'm currently playing a long scale oval hole but my hands are small and I've always wanted a shorter scale guitar.I've got a friend who is a maker and he's agreed to make a 14 fret D hole w/ the shorter scale, however I'm wondering what the sound trade off will be if I go for this combination? Does anyone have experience with this? Harry

Comments

• pallopennapallopenna Rhode IslandNew
    Hey Harry,

I've only played one short-scale 14-Fret join D-Hole. It was...wait for it...a Shelley Park. In fact it was a guitar that I was considering buying until I played the Favino-style that Shelley builds. My feeling was that the guiar was bright and had lots of projection, but had a slightly sweeter sound than the standard length oval hole. On the other hand, it was brighter than the 12-fret join short scale D-Hole that I tried (same woods).

-Paul
    Reject the null hypothesis.
  • Josh HeggJosh Hegg Tacoma, WAModerator
    Harry,

I don't own the Park with the "14 short" but I have a good friend that has one. It is really great. I would try and have your friend look at one before he/she starts if he/she has not built a GJ style guitar before. I'm in the process of building my first Gj guitar and it has been WAY different then any other guitar I have made. I do own a Pattenote 256 that is a 14 short and I love it. It has a very distinct sound. Have fun... I think the 14 short is a great idea.

Cheers,
    Josh