DjangoBooks.com

Gypsy Picking - One String Tremolo

The only major issue I got with Gypsy Picking is the fast tremolo picking on one string. Even chord tremolo is not as tricky for me as picking fast on a single string. For single string picking I use the hand position like Stochelo and all other gypsy picking rules I'm capable of doing except the single string tremolo, in which my pick gets "stuck" or I feel like I have no momentum to go through the string. ...
Any advice?
wim

Comments

Minimize the pick to string contact so that pick is only brushing the string and curl your picking hand in slightly so you're picking more with the side of the pick rather than the tip.
    Every note wants to go somewhere-Kurt Rosenwinkel
  • Both chord and single note tremolos are a problem for me as well. Does anyone have a good exercise to work this out?
  • MichaelHorowitzMichaelHorowitz SeattleAdministrator
    hmmmm....I've always found single note tremolos one of the easier things to do with rest-stroke picking. I'd have to see a video to see what's causing the problem.
  • opus20000opus20000
    For me, for single string stuff, it's just the free floating hand position that makes my tremolo picking a bit "less powerful" as I was doing the DiMeola type picking for a long time (which I'm fine for this issue). Jim, are you able to tremolo with other styles hand position?
  • I'll take a video and post it. To be honest, there was a time when I was using tremolo picking in other music quite a bit, but I've just never felt like it was right.
    opus20000 wrote: »
    For me, for single string stuff, it's just the free floating hand position that makes my tremolo picking a bit "less powerful"
    Doesn't have to be free floating, the very best in the genre use the pinky as anchor.
    Every note wants to go somewhere-Kurt Rosenwinkel
  • opus20000opus20000
    Free floating I meant palm not resting anywhere
  • Have at it. I feel like I am slipping.
  • ScoredogScoredog Santa Barbara, Ca✭✭✭✭
    edited August 2015 Posts: 867
    I think the Yankee's cap is slowing you down, I'd suggest the use of steroids seems to have helped A-Rod....
    your tremolo seems pretty good.
    I actually find it harder to play tremolo with a metronome as opposed to playing with a musical example.
    Jim Kaznosky
  • edited August 2015 Posts: 3,707
    Does your hand or t wrist feel like there is tension? Hard to tell from the vid.
    The Magic really starts to happen when you can play it with your eyes closed