DjangoBooks.com

Schatten pickup in a Dupont MD50?

Keith MurchKeith Murch Ontario Canada and Naples Florida✭✭ Dupont MD50 and several archtops
I have been thinking of trying a Schatten HFN-S2 pickup in my Dupont MD50. I played a gig with a guy who had one in his Gitane and it sounded good. Unfortunately, there aren't many reviews of the Schatten pickups, and very little about using one in a gypsy guitar. They stick to the lateral braces with putty, so I am not sure if one would even fit in a Dupont. Does anyone have any experience with this type of pickup? Does anyone know if it will fit the Dupont? Any thoughts would be appreciated. I am looking at the passive one and I would be using my LR Baggs Venue as a preamp and DI. Here's the pickup: http://www.djangobooks.com/Item/schatten-hfn-s2-passive-selmer-maccaferri
Keith

Comments

• richter4208richter4208 ✭✭✭
    Hi Keith, I really like mine in my Altamira m01D. It doesn't have feedback issues and is quite natural sounding with little quack. Not really sure why there aren't more reviews or feedback. I have the passive one. Granted mine is the only review on djangobooks.
  • Keith MurchKeith Murch Ontario Canada and Naples Florida✭✭ Dupont MD50 and several archtops
    Thanks Richter. That helps. I hope someone can tell me if the lateral braces in a Dupont are the right dimensions to allow the Schatten to fit. I can ask Schatten but I am not sure they will know. Duponts are Kind of rare around here.
    Keith
  • MichaelHorowitzMichaelHorowitz SeattleAdministrator
    Hi Keith,

Sure, it's no problem to install a Schatten in a Dupont. In fact, Dupont even does that at the factory sometimes.

Most people would use a bigtone as it's much more feedback resistant than the Schatten. Having the piezo sensor right in the bridge generates a much stronger signal before feedback. Also, the tone is drier and more direct as the sensor sits right under the strings. The Schatten picksup the movement of the brace which ends up sounding a little "cloduier" with more reverb to it. Some people like that, but most find it feedsback easily and isn't as clear. Also, the Schatten tends to mute some of the acoustic sound of the guitar.

thanks,

Michael
  • Keith MurchKeith Murch Ontario Canada and Naples Florida✭✭ Dupont MD50 and several archtops
    Thanks Michael. I bought a Dupont Bigtone bridge from you a few years ago, which I am using now. I agree that the Bigtone has a very strong signal and doesn't ever feedback, no matter how high the volume. Sometimes I feel that the Bigtone is a little harsh sounding though, and I wondered if the Shatten might be a little softer. Having said that, I am conerned about the other issues you have pointed out. The acoustic sound of my guitar is amazing and I don't want to do anything that will interfere with that. The Bigtone doesn't seem to take away any of the acoustic qualities, which is a big plus. Maybe I should stay with the old faithful Bigtone for those situations when I have to plug in. I do my best to EQ the tone with an LR Baggs Venue, which helps a lot. You are always so helpful. Thanks!
    Keith
    MichaelHorowitz
  • edited October 2015 Posts: 3,707
    If the highs are a bit bright through your bigtone try a little eq. If you have the gear record a short single note phrase through a decent mic then record the same phrase bigtone direct to board. Comparing the signal should give you a decent idea of where and how much to eq.

A knowledgeable studio type person with really sensitive and well trained ears will also be able to do this by ear.
    The Magic really starts to happen when you can play it with your eyes closed
    God advice, Jazzaferri. I will get some help with the EQ. It really does make a difference.
    Keith