DjangoBooks.com

3/4 Size Acoustic Recommendations For My Nephew?

MattHenryMattHenry Washington, DC✭✭✭✭
in Welcome Posts: 131
Forgive me for asking a non-GJ question here but I'd like your advice:

My nephew is having his 11th birthday next week and we're looking to get him a guitar. I have a ten year old student who plays a Yamaha JR1 but I wondered if there was anything that sounded or played better, ideally without costing more than $200-250.

He's not a big kid so I wanted to limit my search to 3/4 steel string acoustics.

Thanks!

Comments

• Russell LetsonRussell Letson Prodigy
    The Baby Taylor is spec'd as 3/4--quite short-scale (22.75") and not too far from your price point ($320 street). The GS-Mini is a substantially better instrument, fairly kid-friendly size (23.5" scale), but quite a bit outside the price envelope. It's a starter that's also a keeper.

I have both models--the Baby was my travel guitar for many years before I got a deal on a GS-Mini. I've been trying out travel-size guitars for 20-some years, and most of the really inexpensive ones are pretty underwhelming. I did notice that the Alvarez and Yamaha models at Guitar Center (can't recall specifics) were much more respectable. And I generally find the Guitar Center house brands and Fender/Jasmine/Rogue low-end models to be quite mediocre in the playability department.
  • MattHenryMattHenry Washington, DC✭✭✭✭
    The Baby Taylor is probably too expensive. It's true that it's only a hundred over the range I gave but it's also 2.5x the price of the Yamaha and as this is his first guitar it probably makes more sense to wade in at the shallow end of things.

Good rec's though, thanks.
  • edited November 2015 Posts: 3,707
    If you want a decent paying/sounding 3/4 size guitar there is only one way I know of getting that. Spending a lot of time trying out guitars. If you were to go through a batch of 50 yammys I am pretty sure you would have a good chance of finding a decent one for the money.

Years ago, in a guitar store in Montreal I was trying out guitars with another player I met there in a room with about 40 guitars over I think around 2500 was the cheapest. We spent the afternoon jamming and found 1 that was "magic" and 3 or 4 that we thought were pretty good. The rest were just competent but both of us thought did not give value for money.

The more you spend, the less the chance of getting a bad one is the only thing I can say for sure. Luthier hand built instruments still vary some but the baseline is a lot higher.

One thing I have had some experience with is a difficult to play or bad sounding instrument can turn off kids except the most highly motivated.
    MattHenry
    The Magic really starts to happen when you can play it with your eyes closed
  • sadowsadow ✭✭ Altamira M30 Antique
    The Recording King "Dirty '30s" RPH-07 Single "O" sized 12-fret flattop looks like a decent solid-top starter guitar. You can find them on ebay for 160 bucks. Not a 3/4 size but appears to be something an 11 year old could handle.
  • AndrewUlleAndrewUlle Cleveland, OH✭✭✭ Cigano GJ-15
    Sorry you missed the 3/4 sized Hodson built for David Reinhardt:
    http://www.ebay.com/itm/3-4-David-Hodson-503-OR-Gypsy-Jazz-guitar-/272030663181

It didn't sell -maybe it'll go up again soon.
  • hammyhammy
    I prefer the mini-martin over the baby taylor, it can be picked up used for around $200 and is constructed of HPL, a laminate that can really take a beating
  • Jeff MooreJeff Moore Minneapolis✭✭✭✭ Lebreton 2
    edited November 2015 Posts: 476
    The geometry of this guitar makes the reach of the left hand reach shorter than almost any regular guitar. His left arm won't have to stick out as far. I realize that's not what your asking for, but the other advantage is that he'll have a great powerhouse sound and volume which helps in other ways for practicing. $400. + shipping (if necessary).
    http://www.djangobooks.com/Item/saga-cigano-short-scale-d-hole-GJ-15

This also isn't what your asking for. I don't know the 3/4 market at all, but its small, loud, well made, and $369.
    https://www.google.com/webhp?sourceid=chrome-instant&ion=1&espv=2&ie=UTF-8#q=seagull+parlor+guitar&tbm=shop&spd=9225579768187087962
    "We need a radical redistribution of wealth and power" MLK
  • TydidesTydides
    Yamaha APXT2 3/4-Size Acoustic-Electric Guitar

It's $199 and comes natural, black or red burst, and the cutaway makes it look cooler. I think it'll be the best bang for your buck. Yamaha's, I'm sure you know, have great value. Plus it has a pickup that your nephew will appreciate. I'm no expert but I got one and was really impressed. $200. Done.

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B00E9ZXZU4/ref=cm_sw_r_cp_awd_DP0vwb89NEP4V
  • NylonDaveNylonDave Glasgow✭✭✭ Perez Valbuena Flamenca 1991
    edited November 2015 Posts: 462
    Hi there here's my two cents.

In the past when younger pupils have had guitars purchased for them the biggest factor in whether or not the guitar got played was whether or not they liked the look of the guitar.

They pretty much only like the look of a guitar they have been allowed to choose for themselves.

I would go to a shop with them and their parent/s. The guitar that makes their eyes big is the one to go for, if you railroad them into your favourite they will never want to play it. I would bet that there are a few kids who still hate me for making that mistake.

The next important thing is that the nut isn't too high as a lot of small guitars are set very high so that if they move about during shipping or with changes in humidity they wont go buzzy. Most shops will replace a nut that is too high on a guitar, even if it is pretty cheap, without altering the ticket price. If they are antsy about doing so it invite them to play the guitar and then it becomes hard for them to deny the problem because open string chords can be terribly difficult to fret.

The only place I would draw the line is that it shouldn't be a cheap fender strat copy as it will not stay in tune and they will either break the bridge or the tremolo arm and the strings tend to corrode quickly snap and the ball end gets stuck.

Kids will pick the style they want to study regardless of the style of guitar you buy them, the will want one that looks like the one the coolest guy they are aware of from TV plays. But if music is for them their next guitar is something they will be more flexible about and will welcome your advice more readily. And that wont be too far in the future if they start with a 3/4

D.