DjangoBooks.com

Tuner issue dilemma - need advice

anthon_74anthon_74 Marin county, CA✭✭✭✭ Alta Mira M 01
Hey there ,

So, today I changed all of my strings, and when I tuned them back up, I discovered that, all of a sudden the tuning peg (Schaller classic deluxe) for the G string went crooked somehow. If you look closely at the picture, you can see that the G string peg is slanted outward slightly. As I twist it, while it winds the string fine, it twists funny as you would expect from a bent peg.

So, I checked and they're still under guarantee, but the company Schaller is all the way in Germany, and I can't be sure they'll even fix or replace it since they might claim I somehow caused this. It's going to cost $20 plus dollars to ship, and I won't be able to play my guitar for who knows how long while they decide whether to fix/replace it or not.

SO.......

Does anyone know how to take a peg from schaller classic deluxe tuners apart ? I feel like if I can just get it apart, and reattach it, it might straighten itself out. I tried twisting it totally loose, but couldn't figure out how to de-attach the tuning post from the enclosure thingy.

What would you do ?

Anthony

Comments

• I rather suspect that as you are asking how, your answer is in your head.

If the post has canted then it has detached from the upper support. If the peg was banged and has bent and come out, it wiI'll need to be straightened. If it came out on its own accord, it's quite possibly a manufacturing defect and would need a degree of mechanical skill and likely a decently equipped workshop to remedy so that it doesn't repeat the process but does not bind, which is the likely outcome squeezing with a pivoting tool as opposed to a good vice.

They are not highly sophisticated inside, pretty basic as I recall.
    The Magic really starts to happen when you can play it with your eyes closed
  • BonesBones Moderator
    What Jazza said. It may be that the gears are probably not meshing correctly if it didn't get banged or bent. Looked at them on this page and doesn't look like they are meant to be taken apart. I'd contact Schaller to check if it can be fixed.

http://www.djangobooks.com/Item/schaller-classic-deluxe-tuners
  • The interesting bit will be taking the cover off. After that, it should be straightforward IF you have good mech skills and right tools.
    The Magic really starts to happen when you can play it with your eyes closed
  • BonesBones Moderator
    Looks like the covers are riveted on. Getting them back on may be tough.

I'd just contact Schaller and ask them to replace it if you didn't mistreat the broken one (i.e. bang it on something)