DjangoBooks.com

For Rhythm players

edited December 2015 in Welcome Posts: 3,707
I recently joined the Martin Taylor fingerstyle guitar Academy. While not GJ style chording, for those interested to take their rhythm to another level, there are some very good artistic ideas on comping that Martin shares.

I hope at some point down e road to be able to utilize the moving bass line concepts that He demonstrates with the more standard GJ rhythm styles. I see some guys doing some basic stuff now, but much of what Martin shows requires a lot of changing of chord voicings.

For example instead of playing 2 bars of Gm and 2 bars of Dm in the B part of Blue Drag one might end up playing A couple of different voicings of each chord with a few single bass notes thrown in.

Obviously, mostly applicable for those moments when there is no bass player. Great way to expand one's musical horizons tho.
The Magic really starts to happen when you can play it with your eyes closed
BucoShemi

Comments

• I've always been curious and this sounds like an area that I'd like to develop.
  • ShemiShemi Cardiff✭✭✭
    Cool... Thanks for the heads up. I shall peg this for the future. I'm still keeping the rhythm side simple at the moment and recording simple backing tracks myself. I bought the Nousche rhythm course so once I have a good base of songs I'll utilise that to add some more ideas and tricks. The course you mention would be a great follow on from that.
    I love it when a plan comes together!

Cheers :-)
    Jazzaferri
  • DaveycDaveyc
    Jazzaferri I have looked at that course and have often admired Martin and his ability of music. I would have liked to join him and Robin Nolan but as it would be I'm taking a month with Rosenberg Academy and thanks to Robin Nolan he gave me a three month free gypsy jazz transfusion:) I really like RA. And I know how important rhythm is and would like to check out the Nousche rhythm course. But in the meantime well lol there is plenty to do and learn and get better at and that will hopefully never end :)