DjangoBooks.com

Cigano GJ15 "as shipped" bridge height?

Does anyone KNOW the factory "as shipped" bridge height? 15, 17, 19, or 21 mm. Seems likes its around 15mm on mine. Have not removed strings yet to measure accurately. I am thinking of buying replacement bridge to raise action just a HAIR so need to know what it is now.

Yes, I know it seems like a dumb question and while my GJ-15 plays well (essentially no fret buzz except LOW E and only when I really "dig in" with pick/thumb) and action at 12th fret is 2mm but seems a hair too LOW and heavy finger vibrator seems hampered (again just a little)

Yes

Comments

would you believe "vibrato" in lieu of vibrator X_X
  • edited January 2016 Posts: 3,707
    2mm on the bass is certainly on the low side. But if you go up 2mm at the bridge that would be 3mm at 12 which is getting up there.

What did you measure action with? Perhaps try shimming
    The Magic really starts to happen when you can play it with your eyes closed
    same tool and methods I use on all my electrics, archtops and acoustics, FretGuru 2 and double checked with feeler gauges
  • A thin hardwood shim would seem to be the easy solution.
    Thanks - that's what I'll probably do.

What I'll probably do is fit shims until it feels right, sounds right, and still plays well (no low string fret buzz or vibrato "choke"). To be fair, as I already mentioned, it already plays well, better than I would have thought possible for a $300 guitar bought "sight unseen," more importantly unplayed, a first for me, and with no 3rd party pre-delivery set-up: just is maybe a hair too low.

Once it's where it seems right I will buy a bridge that's "next height up" and sand down/fit it onto this top (body) for that height (accounting for string/saddle "notch").

I really don't want "loose" parts (shims) that I could lose becasue I forget they were there during string changes, periodic cleanings, or other maintenance and have to "re-fit/re-size" new ones. (I'm old and I forget a LOT of stuff )

again thanks
  • StevearenoSteveareno ✭✭✭
    I use wooden popsicle or ice cream sticks to make shims. Soemene told me they are made of maple. You can buy them at the supermarket, drug store, dollar store, etc. in little multi packs. Cheap and easy to cut and sand to fit. You can "paint" them with a wood finish touch up pen and are not very noticeable. Picks, credit cards and metro tickets are a too funky for me, but they all seem to work. I like the action a little on the high side to prevent buzzing and for easier bending (IMHO). I have a couple of shims on each side of the bridge on my Dell Arte. They stay put without glue and haven't lost any, but I change strings one at a time and try not to move the bridge once it's in position. I think most GJ guitars are usually set up too low.
    Swang on,
  • Zdont think they are maple anymore. Craft shops or woodworkers shops often have hardwood veneer which is usually around 1/2 to 1mm ideal would be a rosewood or some other darker very dense type
    Need opinion(s)

I decided to use actual ebony shims so now I have a "perfect" height (for me) but now have a question/opinion:

Should these shims be glued or lightly "tacked" (using wood glue) to bottom of bridge (better contact surface? ) or not? I'm asking form only a tone/volume point of view?

Thanks
    Larry

• pickitjohnpickitjohn South Texas Corpus, San Antonio, AustinVirtuoso Patenotte 260
    edited January 2016 Posts: 936
    No Glue is necessary MHO.
    String tension should be fine, and at the change of Seasons & Humidity level you'll be glad to be able to pop them off just by loosening the strings.
    FREE...
    You may want to try maple shims as an experiment to see which you prefer.
    I have found shim stock at a deli. RECYCLE a wooden container for imported cheese or sometime dividers at a Cigar Box to work well.

Spend some $...
    Woodcraft will also have some maple veneer.

http://www.woodcraft.com/product/147432/maple-78-x-25-edge-banding.aspx

:)>-
  • I second the no glue idea. While there might be a perceptible difference (tho I doubt it) to the guitar player who knows their instrument intimately, to anyone a few feet away, doubt anyone would know.