DjangoBooks.com

Interview with Joscho Stephan | Blog

DjangoBooksDjangoBooks Seattle✭✭✭ All of them!
edited April 2016 in Welcome Posts: 446
imageInterview with Joscho Stephan | Blog

By Barry Wahrhaftig In a perfect world every school kid would know who Django Reinhardt is. Gypsy Jazz, instead of being a sub-genre of a sub-genre, would be as popular as Top-40 artists like

Read the full story here

Tagged:
altonBuconomadgtr

Comments

• MichaelHorowitzMichaelHorowitz SeattleAdministrator
    Thanks to Barry for this fantastic interview! :)
  • DaveycDaveyc
    Yes thank you!! Love these interviews!!
  • BillDaCostaWilliamsBillDaCostaWilliams Barreiro, Portugal✭✭✭ Mateos, Altamira M01F, Huttl
    A download version of the Guitar Heroes album is available from his site:
    http://www.joschoshop.com/epages/78216829.sf/en_US/?ObjectPath=/Shops/78216829/Categories/downloads
    Saw Joscho for the first time in '09 at Chet Atkins fest, he brought everyone up on their feet every time he played. But that's kinda what he does everywhere he goes.
    He's having so much fun playing.
    Super nice guy.
    Thanks!
    Every note wants to go somewhere-Kurt Rosenwinkel
  • DaveycDaveyc
    I heard that his dad played rhythmn with his thumb ,which I had to check it out since that's the sound I like and have been using my thumb and fingers in the past and a pick /plectrum before that. Now when I came to this music I am back to using a pick but still like the feel of the strings on my fingers and so I try to do it with both pick and also with thumb and fingers, probably a recipe for disaster, or insanity. Either way I will learn this music :) And Joscho is very talented and inspiring!
    His dad does play rhythm with his thumb, much to the grunt of some. Sounded good to me every time I listened to them live.
    Joscho would joke, "the hardest working thumb in business!".
  • DaveycDaveyc
    It is hard work but it's got a sound of its own:) Is it frowned upon as far as being authentic?:(
    I guess yeah. I could care less what tools you emply as long as the band is tight which goes without saying in this case.
    Daveyc
  • altonalton Keene, NH✭✭ 2000 Dell'Arte Long Scale Anouman, Gadjo Modele Francais, Gitane DG-330 John Jorgensen Tuxedo
    In an interview, Olivier Kikteff said something like "this music has evolved through traveling, and it needs to keep traveling." How sad would it be if gypsy jazz, or any kind of music, stayed the same, with everyone playing the same songs with the same techniques over and over again? I think that it is great that Joscho's dad plays with his thumb. No it's not traditional, but I agree with @Buco. If the band is tight and sounds good, that's all that matters.
    nomadgtrDaveyc
  • kungfumonk007kungfumonk007 ✭✭✭✭
    Sweet interview. Now if we could only all figure out the secret to Joscho's concentration and focus. . .