DjangoBooks.com

New Tortis Gypsy Jazzer Pick

VerchachoVerchacho Orlando, FloridaNew
Have anyone tried the aforementioned pick.
I'm thinking of getting one but will like to know if it's worth the $30.00 or stick with my Moustache and Wegen.

Comments

• pallopennapallopenna Rhode IslandNew
    This is a tough call as I would hate to tell someone that they absolutely should fork over $30 for a pick. I have one (I also have several of Dave's bluegrass style picks, which I love) and I like it quite a lot. It's got a nice fat tone and good sustain (if you want that kind of thing). I rounded the tip just a bit when I first got it and it plays very smoothly. However, as much as I like it, I find myself using my Trimus most of the time. The Trimus seems to dig into the strings just a bit easier. For me, it's a bit of a toss up and how I feel at any one time. That probably doesn't help you decide, but I would say you should try Dave's picks out if you're dissatisfied with your current picks, but it's not a 'must have.'

-Paul
    Reject the null hypothesis.
  • pdaiglepdaigle Montreal, QCNew
    Did you read my review:

http://djangobooks.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=1194

It may help your decision.
  • VerchachoVerchacho Orlando, FloridaNew
    Ok so after reading Pdaigle's comments on the Tortis picks I went ahead and order one. After i received it i talk to Dave 'cuz i wanted something a little different and he made me the perfect Gypsy jazz pick.
    It is 4.5mm Classic shape with the speed Bevel.
    It has a satin finish cuz the first one i got was polished and even though it looks great, all shiny and stuff I wanted a better grip on it.
    So the new pick has a rougher surface which makes it stick better to your fingers when you're playing.
    And most important the sound it's amazing.
    I will totally encourage anybody to try Daves picks, they are worth every penny you spend.
  • dskowrondskowron NVNew
    Hi folks. This is my first time here as you can see. A friend in Europe alerted me to this forum thread. I really appreciate all the kind words about my picks. I have recently made a special pick which is a laminated version of my "C" Gypsy Jazzer in standard tortoise color. It came out to a little over 5mm thick, and I can make them up to about 10mm!! Wow - that's one big pick! THis one was made by bonding two "C" picks back-to-back. It had a slightly sharpened, round bevel. Next up will be a 3-part laminated one with the beautiful ivory on the outsides and a piece of the tortoise color in the middle. I'll put the Sped Bevel on it and it should look, feel and play fantastic. Man, I love my job!! 8)

Cheers!
    Dave S.
  • pallopennapallopenna Rhode IslandNew
    Dave,

It's great to have you here!

-Paul
    Reject the null hypothesis.
  • mcgroup53mcgroup53 Bloomington, IN USA✭✭✭✭ 1951 Ep Broadway
    :?:

I bought the tortoise-colored Gypsy Jazzer with the speed bevel and for some reason, it worn down quickly and developed a nasty rasp to it. Now I use these picks, same material and bevel, on my bluegrass guitar and they sound great and have never had an isue with it wearing down.

Maybe I got one from a bad batch? Maybe the tremolo action imparts a scraping force or increased heat I don't get when I'm flatpicking. I thought the pick sounded great, but in the end I've gone back to the Wegens.

David McCarty
  • dskowrondskowron NVNew
    mcgroup53 wrote:
    :?:

I bought the tortoise-colored Gypsy Jazzer with the speed bevel and for some reason, it worn down quickly and developed a nasty rasp to it. Now I use these picks, same material and bevel, on my bluegrass guitar and they sound great and have never had an isue with it wearing down.

Maybe I got one from a bad batch? Maybe the tremolo action imparts a scraping force or increased heat I don't get when I'm flatpicking. I thought the pick sounded great, but in the end I've gone back to the Wegens.

David McCarty

It needs to be buffed again. If it got scratchy on you, just get it back to shiny again, and you'll be fine.

BTW, are you using a steel-alloy string? Nickel plated?

Dave S.
    Red Bear Trading Co.
    Dave S.