DjangoBooks.com

For Sale: 50's Antoine DiMauro Modele Django

mikegnikmikegnik Southern NJ, Philly✭✭ Bumgarner #47, 50’s Castelluccia round hole
edited August 2016 in Classifieds Posts: 52
Sold, thanks folks!

https://youtube.com/watch?v=VTIs8vMQMMA&feature=youtu.be

Hi folks,

Up for grabs is a great player made by Antoine DiMauro at some point in the 1950's. I have owned this guitar for a little over a year and have been very happy with it, but I now own 4 gypsy guitars and it just doesn't get played as much as it deserves.

Please see the Youtube video linked above to hear the guitar, and pardon the bumps and stumps in the performances therein. Note the attached photos as well.

The guitar is light as a feather.
Spruce top.
I would say Mahogany back and sides.
Rosewood fingerboard.
Frets look as new with little to no signs of wear.
Scale 640mm
Luthier repaired headstock break was well-done and reinforced and has no affect on playability. I have had multiple guitars with this repair and none have ever caused an issue.
Some scratches and wear on the body, nothing too significant.
Comfortable action at c. 2.5mm.
Vintage style tuners, which turn in reverse order as some 50's guitars are known to do. One tuning button has been repaired and has never caused me an issue.
Just restrung with Argentine 11's.
Includes a semi-rigid case, which is slightly oversized for the instrument but with a couple of towels in the case it secures it well.

$1,000 takes it. I'll split the actual shipping and insurance costs with you. I would like to sell this within the 48 continental US states to avoid overseas shipping. The guitar currently lives in southern NJ near Philadelphia if you want to pick it up in person.

Here is Michael's blurb about one of these guitars when he sold a similar instrument:

Antoine Di Mauro was part of the mass emigration of master Sicilian luthiers (Busato, Oliveri Anastasio, etc) who left Catania in the early 20th century. In the 1930s Di Mauro and his countrymen setup a series of shops on the East side of Paris and quickly adapted their skills to making jazz guitars in the Selmer Maccaferri style. Di Mauro was certainly one of the most successful and long lasting of these Franco-Sicilian luthiers as his guitars were widely adopted by players of many styles. Notable players include Moreno, Boulou Ferre, Patrick Saussois, Samy Daussat, Jean-Yves Dubanton, and even Pat Metheny! Di Mauro guitars were produced continuously until the early 90s, first by Antoine and then later by his son Joseph.

This unusual example of Antoine's work features a round soundhole, a 12 fret neck, and a short 640mm scale. The marque au fer appears on the back of the headstock. The top is supported with four braces while the slightly bent back has only one brace. Antoine used tentalone lining which I've seen on other guitars he built, a technique seemingly unique to him in the Selmer guitar world.

Every so often I get an seemingly innocent looking instrument that shows little promise that subsequently blows my socks off! This is one of those rare "sleepers" that is off the radar of collectors yet has the classic tone and projection of some of the high dollar vintage guitars. It posses a wonderfully mature highend that is crisp, and clear. You simply do not find this sort of clarity in new guitars at any price. Additionally, it is fairly dry with a present, but controlled low end. As a 12 fret guitar, it's primary function would be as a rhythm guitar, a role it can fill as well as any. However, it is surprisingly punchy for leads as well, and with only 2.5mm action you can actually pull off some very technical runs with ease. If your rhythm player is looking for an upgrade, this is it!

Brand Di Mauro
Year 1950s
Model Number Modele Django
Serial Number None
Sound Hole Roundhole
Fret Neck 12 Fret
Condition Very Good
Size 15 5/8"
Scale Length 640mm
Nut Width 1 3/4"
Top Spruce
Back and Sides Mahogany