DjangoBooks.com

New transcriptions of Django solos

PapsPierPapsPier ✭✭
in Welcome Posts: 426
Hey
I have added 4 new transcriptions and a lot of information about the musicians involved with Django for the session of April 1947 during which they recorded for a movie soundtrack.
The songs are Clair de Lune (it is a song of Kosma composed for the movie, nothing to do with Debussy), Mélodie au crépuscule, Lentement Mademoiselle et Peche a la mouche.

I hope you ll enjoy all that!
Django April 1947
jonpowlwim

Comments

• PapsPierPapsPier ✭✭
    I want to add that the transcriptions of Melodie au crépuscule and Lentement Mademoiselle were not available before.
  • BonesBones Moderator
    edited October 2016 Posts: 3,319
    Thanks Paps!

I don't speak French. Where are the links for the transcriptions?
  • PapsPierPapsPier ✭✭
    Hi Bones,
    scroll down the page until you see the titles of the tunes then you can click on it and access a separate page for each title.
    On this page, the link called Tablature will give you the tabs as a tux guitar file and the links called Partitions (scores/sheets in French) will give you the standard scores.

I plan to realize a translation of all the texts when I am done with all the transcriptions and research about the musicians.
  • BonesBones Moderator
    Ok I'll try to download Tux guitar and see if I can open them. Do you have pdf's or just the Tux files.

thanks again
  • PapsPierPapsPier ✭✭
    For the sheet music it is pdf, for the tabs it is tux guitar.
  • PapsPierPapsPier ✭✭
    You can also click on the main page on Liste alphabetique, the left bottom circle, you will have access to all the available tunes I already transcribed
  • NylonDaveNylonDave Glasgow✭✭✭ Perez Valbuena Flamenca 1991
    Hi Paps and thank you. What a wonderful gem of a website.

I have just been enjoying reading along with the PDFs and listening on youtube.

I am very impressed by the consistently high standard of rhythmic notation for both the guitar and saxophone parts which are always extremely clear and faifthful to the soloists intent.

I see also that clarinet player did not submit himself to proofreading.

Thanks for all the hard work and I expect to enjoy these transcriptions over and over.

D.
  • PapsPierPapsPier ✭✭
    Thanks Dave
    I am not sure to understand what you mean by
    "I see also that clarinet player did not submit himself to proofreading"
    Are there mistakes I did not notice? It is totally possible, I tried to proofread but I didnt really practice with the charts yet.
    It is also to have feedback and corrections/suggestions that I share these transcriptions :)
  • NylonDaveNylonDave Glasgow✭✭✭ Perez Valbuena Flamenca 1991
    edited October 2016 Posts: 462
    Hi, sorry for the confusion.

The guitar parts are very very good and I think I heard two sax parts that were also very good with respect to rhythm. The clarinet part is of a distinctly inferior quality, with respect to rhythm.

I assumed that the clarinet parts were notated by another set of hands (I would bet on it). I listened to several of the pieces transcribed (and thank you again, it was very enjoyable) and the drop in quality as soon as the clarinet arrived seemed consistent in all scores, seldom more than a bar or two before I would start to find it very hard to follow along. With the guitar parts I had no such difficulty ever.

Sorry if I seem to be nitpicking, I am very impressed by the site.
  • PapsPierPapsPier ✭✭
    No pb, you re totally right: so far most of the guitar transcriptions are of Ben Givan, a musicologist and the clarinet transcriptions are my work... and I am only an amateur who tries his best :)
    And I must add that I did my first written transcriptions for this project and I am not an expert in music notation so that explains the decrease in quality between the guitar part and the clarinet part...
    Hope it can still be of use for some of you