DjangoBooks.com

Cyril Gaffiero logo and label

Hi,

I don't mean to be tedious, but I was wondering if anyone could shed some light on Cyril Gaffiero's logo on the headstock and the paper label he uses inside his guitars, plus I guess any history you care to share along those lines.

Do I understand correctly that he used to have a big squiggly "CG" on the headstock (similar in some ways to General Electric's logo) and then he switched to his current bold wavy yellow "Gaffiero" logo? Does he switch back and forth or is there a "cutoff" date?

Same with his labels. This site (djangobooks) has a 2011 and 2015 currently on offer, and both have a square label (there's a good pic on the 2011 model posting on this site.) But also he uses a Selmer-style version too? Is this only for certain models? Or only for the Maccaferri model posted on his website?

Thanks!

Comments

Hello, a friend of mine told me about your question, I will try to answer the best I can:
    I changed the logo on my guitars headstock in january 2014. All the guitars made before 2014 have the CG logo. The 2011 D-hole guitar on sale on Djangobooks was no exception, but I changed it after the guitar came back to the shop in 2014. It was originally owned by gypsy guitarist Matcho winterstein. He bought it at the end of Samois Djangofest 2011. He wanted to buy an oval hole guitar he had tried 3 days before, and he loved a lot, but this one had been sold the day before. So he bought this D-hole instead, because he really loved the sound too, but he told me that he would swap for an oval hole guitar as soon as possible because he loves the look of those guitars more. That's what happened in 2014: he took an oval hole guitar from me, and the D-hole was back to the shop. It was one of the first guitars I made with nitrocellulose finish, unfortunately the lacquer I had used had cracked a lot, so I removed it and refinished it using a better product. The original logo almost disappeared from the headstock when I scraped it so I decided to remove it completely and put the new logo instead because I like it more.

Now, regarding the label, I usually prefer to use the square label, but some guitarists really like the Selmer-style label, so I can use it on request, for Selmer replicas most of the time. I also sometimes use a Selmer-style logo on the headstock for the same reason, but I really prefer to do my original design.
    NonejuandererBuco
  • Holy cow! Thanks CyrilGaffiero! I am quite grateful and honored to hear from you.

I just purchased (second-hand) one of your "Type 4" guitars that has the modern logo and a Selmer-style label, so that's why I asked. This guitar is a-m-a-z-i-n-g! You are truly a talented magician.
    Buco
    oh thank you, I'm glad you like the guitar! Please feel free to contact me if you have any question about the guitar you just bought. I haven't made many of this model, so I guess I know wich one you bought. It's based on the Selmer 503 model, that's why I used the Selmer style label on this one (although I sometimes used this label on other models)