DjangoBooks.com

gypsy set up

blindjimmyblindjimmy phoenix,az✭✭✭✭
hi michael, josh. would you please tell us what is included with the gypsy set up option that you offer. thanks.
shut up and play your guitar

Comments

• ElliotElliot Madison, WisconsinNew
    Not sure, but I think if you buy a guitar, a gypsy with his 'close relatives' comes over to your place and sets himself up for a week while they help themselves to your food and best cognac, and the pet monkey wreaks havoc on your furniture.
  • Josh HeggJosh Hegg Tacoma, WAModerator
    DING DING DING!!! Elliot has won the booby prize!

Here is a list of what is done for the set up:

-------
    Fit Bridge (existing bridge will be examined and adjustments will be made if there is a need) - Replacement of the stock bridge is highly recommended. Contact me for more info.
    Set bridge action
    Set zero fret action
    Set intonation (best that can be achieved using existing bridge)
    Truss adjustment - if needed
    Check / clean frets (remove small burs and buffing compound from factory)
    Lube / Clean tuners
    Replace strings (the price of the strings will be added if the strings must be changed)
    Check tail piece (fix buzzing if any)
    Fully inspection for any structural and finish flaws
    Inspect and fix case (loose interior material & exterior flaws)
    -------

Note:
    The Bridge that comes on the Gitane guitars is a bad design. If you are unhappy with the tone of your Gitane and would like to have a better GJ tone the bridge is the first step. I'm not sure where Saga came up with the idea for the bridge they produce but it is not correct. It looks like the early Sel/Mac run (1934ish) with the "step" design. This design was abandoned by Selmer eventually and the bridge we see now is what took it's place. The "step" bridge on the Gitanes is an early Selmer "looking" bridge but is far from an efficient tone passing medium. All this to say that No amount of "gypsy set up" will fix the fact the the bridge that come on the Gitane guitar line should be replaced with a proper bridge. There are bridge blanks out there that you can buy and set up to your guitar. See my post on fitting a bridge blank. One thing to know about most bridge blanks. Dupont has done us all a great service by producing a great bridge blank in a verity of hight options to fit out needs. His bridges are made for his guitars and fit most GJ style guitars. However the compensation on the Dupont bridges is very drastic and tends to be too compensated for most Gitanes as well as many other GJ guitar makes. If the intonation on your guitar seems off this is more then likely the problem. Most other brdige blank options have fallowed the Dupont design so the problem tends to be across the board on pre made blanks. The only way to get a bridge to work for your individual guitar is to make a bridge for that instrument. Granted the guitar is imperfect... But the proper bridge will make a world of difference in tone, action and intonation.

Cheers,
    Josh
  • ElliotElliot Madison, WisconsinNew
    Josh Hegg says, "DING DING DING!!! Elliot has won the booby prize!"

Hey, man, somebody has to keep the troops entertained while they wait for you west-coasters to wake up!

I'm not a Gypsy, although I do look like one (my ancestors lived beside them for like 500 years - any of these people could pass as a relative) and I don't drink or own a monkey, but I'll still come over and crash on your couch and jam for a week if you like!

:lol: here's laughy face so you'll know I'm just kidding....... :lol: