DjangoBooks.com

Why I'm not advancing in my technique, master?

wimwim ChicagoModerator Barault #503 replica
in Welcome Posts: 1,454
86ccjw2mqdge.jpg
BucopickitjohnMichaelHorowitzterrassierNoneBob HoloAppel

Comments

• WmTBallardWmTBallard U.K.New
    That's brilliant Wim, thank you!
  • ROFL
    The Magic really starts to happen when you can play it with your eyes closed
  • edited December 2016 Posts: 4,730
    Practice more young grasshopper.

But how do you insert the picture and not just the link to it?

Never mind, just gave me a quick crash course

kung-fu_tv-master_po-young_grasshopper.jpg
    Jazzaferri
    Every note wants to go somewhere-Kurt Rosenwinkel
  • MatteoMatteo Sweden✭✭✭✭ JWC Modele Jazz, Lottonen "Selmer-Maccaferri"
    edited December 2016 Posts: 393
    Funny. But, on the other hand, isn't there a risk of musicians becoming pretty boring if they spend all their time in the practice room? And remember the anecdote when the other people in the band were looking for Django and someone found him sitting on a bench outside the place where they were playing, admiring the full moon. "Ah brother, look how beautiful the moon is!" There's got to be some of that too.
  • NylonDaveNylonDave Glasgow✭✭✭ Perez Valbuena Flamenca 1991

• bohemewarblerbohemewarbler St. Louis, MO✭✭✭✭ Jordan Wencek No.26, Altamira M01D-12 fret
    @Wim Glenn maybe not feeling like one's advancing in technique? Might feel stuck in a rut sometimes? Try Christiaan's and Brad's advice from their latest Gypsy Jazz Top Ten - Episode 7: Stuck in a Rut
  • BonesBones Moderator
    Love Russell Malone's comping on electric too (don't mean to hijack this thread)

Appel
  • Funny how tastes differ. While I respect the technical facility, to me its an example of "just because you can play doesn't mean you should".
    jonpowl
    The Magic really starts to happen when you can play it with your eyes closed
  • Lango-DjangoLango-Django Niagara-On-The-Lake, ONModerator
    edited December 2016 Posts: 1,854
    Thanks for the inspiring video, Christiaan and Brad.

I enjoyed all your tips, and wish to add two more of my own...

11. Listen to some classical music.

In addition to jazz, Django loved classical music. It didn't hurt his jazz playing, and it won't hurt anybody else's!

12. Listen to Eddie Lang and Oscar Aleman.

They played acoustic guitars in a similar style as Django, though arguably not quite as technically advanced as Django.

Still, you can learn a lot from Eddie and/or Oscar!

I always say, "Eddie was the Father, Django was the Son, and Oscar was the Holy Ghost!"

Happy Boxing Day!

Will

Buco
    Paul Cezanne: "I could paint for a thousand years without stopping and I would still feel as though I knew nothing."

Edgar Degas: "Only when he no longer knows what he is doing does the painter do good things.... To draw, you must close your eyes and sing."

Georges Braque: "In art there is only one thing that counts: the bit that can’t be explained."
  • Hey good meeting you in Paris , Gypsy jazz nerd !