DjangoBooks.com

New Member!!! Just wanted to introduce myself.

Joshl-mJoshl-m New
edited December 2016 in Welcome Posts: 76
Hi everyone, My name is Josh and I am located in Orillia, ON. Canada. I have been a huge fan of gypsy jazz for about 15 years and have found this forum to be a great resource so, I thought it was time to finally register.
Currently I play a luthier built Kwasnycia Small Jumbo(which is an incredible guitar but, alas, not even close to well suited for GJ), a telecaster and an old dreadnought beater guitar.
I recently acquired an Aria MM10 D-hole guitar for a very low price, the down side is I can't use it yet because it needs a ton of work(hence, the low price)! The work doesn't bother me, I grew up with a Dad who is also a luthier. It feels like a fun project. I was worried that the aria would be junk because I hadn't read any good reviews but I was pleasantly surprised! It is really well made and incredibly light. However, the bridge is way too heavy(and I am guessing that is why they get so many negative reviews. The bridge is such a tank that it will stop any vibrations from reaching the body) and the nut is plastic crap but those things are easy fixes.
I will post some pics and hopefully audio too, once all the work is done. Thanks for adding me!
Tagged:
papajoe

Comments

• Joshl-mJoshl-m New
    Also, if there is anyone here living near Orillia, ON., message me. It's so hare to find people to play with around here unless you are just into metal or folk.
  • MichaelHorowitzMichaelHorowitz SeattleAdministrator
    Hi @Joshl-m

Welcome to the forum! You'll find plenty of friendly folks here who share your passion for Gypsy jazz!

Michael
    Joshl-m
    Yeah welcome. You'll find that more than a few members here came to gypsy jazz from metal and bluegrass.
    So they seem to be easy recruits.
    Go convert some.
    Every note wants to go somewhere-Kurt Rosenwinkel
  • Joshl-mJoshl-m New
    I do know a banjo player that was more than happy to try 'Minor Swing' and 'I've Found A New Baby' with me a while back. It was definitely a lot of fun
  • Welcome from a Canuck on the wet coast.
    The Magic really starts to happen when you can play it with your eyes closed
    If your banjo buddy is still willing, you're two thirds towards the working band. Just need a bass player. Which is the hardest instrument/player to find and recruit so there's that too.
    Every note wants to go somewhere-Kurt Rosenwinkel
  • Lango-DjangoLango-Django Niagara-On-The-Lake, ONModerator
    Welcome, Joshi-M. I'm just down a few hours down the road from you in southern Ontario.

I've got an old buddy about my age (mid sixties) who lives somewhere up your way (Muskoka, last I heard) who is a real good guitar and bass player. His name is Rob Uffin, and I hope someday you'll run into him.

Rob played real nice jazz guitar even when I used to play with him back in the seventies, and although I don't know if plays any GJ or not, I do know he was a big Django fan.

I suspect that there are a lot of Toronto GJ players who are regulars at this site, although most of them don't post very often.

If you are ever passing this way, please PM me and we can get together and do some playing.

Will Wilson
    Niagara-On-The-Lake
    Paul Cezanne: "I could paint for a thousand years without stopping and I would still feel as though I knew nothing."

Edgar Degas: "Only when he no longer knows what he is doing does the painter do good things.... To draw, you must close your eyes and sing."

Georges Braque: "In art there is only one thing that counts: the bit that can’t be explained."
  • BonesBones Moderator
    Welcome! Yeah post some pics of your guitar project. Interested in the bridge replacement.
  • altonalton Keene, NH✭✭ 2000 Dell'Arte Long Scale Anouman, Gadjo Modele Francais, Gitane DG-330 John Jorgensen Tuxedo
    Buco wrote: »
    Just need a bass player. Which is the hardest instrument/player to find and recruit.

Ain't that the truth.
  • Joshl-mJoshl-m New
    Yeah, It will be exciting to see the guitar come back together. I have already started reshaping and hollowing out the bridge. I decided to try that first before I order a replacement. It's more like a rosewood blank than a functioning bridge so, whatever the results are, it won't be any worse!