DjangoBooks.com

studying with frapy

aa New York City✭✭✭✭
edited January 2005 in Gypsy Picking Posts: 800
michael,
what was it like studying with frapy? in the book you mention that you practiced for 8 hours a day. did you guys jam for 8 hours a day, or did you sit with a metronome? do most of the gypsies "practice" rigorously (i.e. 8 hours alone with a metronome, slowly at first), or do they learn from just jamming constantly? did you have to do any gypsy-picking 'pre-work' before frapy, or did you go as a novice gypsy-jazzer?
thanks,
a
Www.alexsimonmusic.com
Learn how to play Gypsy guitar:
http://alexsimonmusic.com/learn-gypsy-jazz-guitar/

Comments

• MichaelHorowitzMichaelHorowitz SeattleAdministrator
    Fapy is an excellent teacher. I would spend about four hours with him every week or two. That's plenty...the rest is just sitting in a room doing very focused practice.

Most Gypsies don't practice in a deliberate way. Music is part of their life...happens all day and night so they just sort of pick it up. However, the serious virtuosos usually go through a period of intense study, usually from age 5-16.

I played straight ahead jazz so I knew how to improvise. I knew many Django solos as well. But the technique used in Gypsy jazz was totally new. I had to work very hard to learn it, but it paid off big time in the end.

-Michael