DjangoBooks.com

Does anybody play a Park Montmartre?

Hello,
Does anybody out there own and play the Shelley Park Montmartre model? I'm curious on how close they sound to the Favinos. Is it in the ballpark? Are there any specifics that you find terrific? Is it good for rhythm. Also, some of the other Favino copies are less in price and sound good like the Dell Arte Homage. Her work is outstanding and since I already own a Dell Arte Pigalle (which, I like very much) I'm thinking of mixing it up a bit. I love the Encores I've played, but I'm searching for a different tone. I have the desire to mix it up a bit. I'm also thinking highly of the Avance model.
brogan eye
PS: I love this forum!!! javascript:emoticon(':D')

Comments

I bought one of Shelley's Montmartres just a few months ago. Her workshop is only miles away as I am in the Vancouver area. This model was a demo she brought to a few shows over the last few years. It was made in July, 2004.

As a folksy demonstration of her now legendary attention to craftmanship and detail, she was of the understanding that this must be dinged up a bit and was quite candid in that she would sell me this but a few enthusiastic guitar show participants had essentially taken the guitar for a ride. If you were to see the guitar now, you would truly wonder what the heck she was talking about.

I had the pleasure of visiting her workshop. I was impressed with the cleanliness and order of the place. Shelley was helpful, friendly and professional. But her work speaks for itself.

All this said, I am reasonably new to the Gypsy Jazz fold but I can tell you I love this guitar. It has, after thirty years of playing in different genres, inspired me to be a better guitarist. My other gypsy jazzer is a Jesse Brace, similar to one on display in this forum by another member (who, if my memory serves me correctly contacted me as a reference a few months back).

Both Shelley and Jesse studied with Michael Dunn.

Interestingly, Shelley told me she thinks of the Montmartre as the "Favino" model herself. Again, I am not qualified to compare this to her other models or to an original Favino but it has a beautiful distinctive Gyspy bark and is one the best guitars I have ever played. I can also tell you the tone was a little deeper and more complex than the Gitane D-500 I had for a while but I suppose that is not surprising at this level.

Exceptional workmanship, materials and the most player-friendly neck. Yes, the bark and playability are what hooked me, I think.

Perhaps most impressively, I registered with this forum just to respond to this post.

Boy, I wish you could play mine.

Don
  • pallopennapallopenna Rhode IslandNew
    I completely agree with Don's comments about Shelley. She's a true professional, a very friendly (and patient) person, and her guitars are wonderfully made. I love my Montmartre, but I don't have enough experience with other gypsy guitars to compare it either to Favinos, or to other Favino-like guitars. However, just considering it as to quality, I think it's a fantastic instrument.

-Paul
    Reject the null hypothesis.
  • nwilkinsnwilkins New
    Favinos are essentially in a league of their own, and nothing else is going to sound like them. However, Favino copies (as opposed to Selmer copies) will generally have more bass response, a less nasally tone, and a lighter, more balanced sound. Although I have not played a Montmartre, I have an Aylward Favino copy which is lovely.
  • Brogan eyeBrogan eye Portland, ORNew
    Thanks for the replies to everyone. I realize it is impossible to really tell if you'll truly love a guitar before you play it, but the fact that all the responses I've receive were that the owners really liked the model is encouraging. nwilkins description of the Favino as kind of "nasally" was just the word I was looking for to describe one of the qualities I'm looking for in my guitar. I do like the idea of "Guitar wars on CD" which is going to be a good thread.
    Thanks to Don also for the story and kind words. Wish I could just hop over to your house and check it out. Play on!!!
    Brian
  • KcoxKcox Montreal, QCNew
    edited April 2006 Posts: 110
    nwilkins description of the Favino as kind of "nasally" was just the word I was looking for to describe one of the qualities I'm looking for in my guitar

Then I suggest you re-read his post because he actually says the opposite of that.

Kevin
  • Charlie AyersCharlie Ayers Salt Lake CityProdigy
    I have owned a Montmartre and an Encore (and a 12 fret Park D hole that I got on Ebay at a great price!). I have only played one Favino, and 1 other Favino style guitar (a Dell'Arte Homage), and I didn't get to play the Park and Favino side by side, for comparison; so I can't really comment on how much the Montmartre sounds like a Favino.

I do think the Montmartre is a great sounding and playing guitar; it's got more bass and midrange than the Encore, so is very nice for rhythm playing (it's also very nice to look at, with bearclaw figure all over the top).

Charlie
  • Josh HeggJosh Hegg Tacoma, WAModerator
    I have played the Park and Favino as well as the Del Arte. When I played the Park it was very nice but I didn't think "wow this sounds like a Favino" It's great but not a Favino. The Del Arte sounds closer to a Favino then the Park but does not look as nice as the Park.

Cheers,
    Josh
  • Brogan eyeBrogan eye Portland, ORNew
    Thanks Kcox. I read the nwilkins post on the Favino tone incorrectly.
  • SUDSSUDS New
    Shelley is great.

Has to be one of the nicest ppl to deal with. Her product is amazing. I have one of her guitars on order (half way there), and even before I order it, she let me take one of her other guitars for a demo, and it really improved me playing.

Highly recommend.

SUDS