DjangoBooks.com

Is there an issue with my bridge?

Hi All,

It appears the bridge on my Alta Mira M-01 has seemed to rise slightly on the right side. I wanted to know if this affects playability or tone in anyway, and if this is a normal occurrence. Also, if this is something that needs to be corrected, can I just reposition the bridge upon loosening the strings, or would I need to replace the bridge entirely? Please refer to the attached photo, and thank you for your help!

Comments

• t-birdt-bird Portland, Oregon Castelluccia Nuages, Dupont Nomade
    Moving the bridge impacts intonation. Yes, you can easily reposition the bridge. This video from legendary guitar maker (and forum member here at djangobooks) Bob Holo really helped me understand these guitars much better when I started playing Gypsy Jazz.

https://youtube.com/watch?v=q4AsILK_kH8
  • richter4208richter4208 ✭✭✭
    In addition to the bridge moving you have another issue it appears, your string spacing isn't consistent. I have the same issue with string spacing on my M01 as well. The M01 ships with just a tiny little notch for the string and it chips really quickly. Tomy **** at **** told me they dye the bridges and it makes them brittle. I haven't replaced mine as I check it periodically to make sure its in place.
    wim
  • JeremyCJeremyC New
    wow, great input. Thank you guys. Didn't even notice the string spacing. Think it's too late to reset to where the strings should be?
    No I don't think its too late. Mine isn't perfect but its close and doesn't impede me (i don't think), Just get them spaced evenly by eye and see how and if they stay put.
  • crookedpinkycrookedpinky Glasgow✭✭✭✭ Alex Bishop D Hole, Altamira M & JWC D hole
    You might want to carefully file or cut some shallow slots with an Exacto or Stanley knife for the strings once they're spaced a bit better. They don't need to be too deep but just enough to hold the strings in place and they'll obviously need to vary in width to accommodate the different string widths. Also and I'm not wishing to disparage anyone but I don't see how dying the bridge would make it brittle ? I have dyed a number of bridges and not one of them has become brittle.
    always learning
    Regardless of how it happens, some of the altamira bridges are brittle. My bridge has exactly the same kind of chipping I see in the picture Jeremy posted, none of my other gypsy guitars Ive had had this problem.