DjangoBooks.com

Chord voicing choice

AndrewUlleAndrewUlle Cleveland, OH✭✭✭ Cigano GJ-15
in Classifieds Posts: 541
In several songs of my limited repertoire, there is a IV iv progression, specifically, F to Fm, for example in All of Me. Right now I'm using a standard type I bar F and Fm, but is there a better pair of chords to used in that instance? Any suggestions?

Comments

• constantineconstantine New York✭✭✭✭ Geronimo Mateos
    Yes F to F#dim [i think]
    F#dim is 2x12xx
    I said I think because I am bad at naming chords but the chord diagram is correct. You can use that in many places that go from the major to the minor of the same root name
    AndrewUllealton
  • NylonDaveNylonDave Glasgow✭✭✭ Perez Valbuena Flamenca 1991
    Don't know about better Andrew but it is nice to have variety.

F Ab to C/G,Abdim, Dm7/A Abdim C6/G is nice

or F/A Ab Em/G Gbdim Dm7/F Fdim C/E

Sound nice just now as I sing through.
    AndrewUlle
    edited April 2017 Posts: 462
    F/A Bb9 Em/B Cdim F/C Bdim C

OK too.

By the way I am giving chords for the whole phrase, from You took to all of me.

The reason is that any reharmonisation has to make sense as a phrase and that pretty much means that you need to complete the phrase in the style of the different options. It is an eight bar phrase moving from four and hitting one on the seventh bar. I leave the turnaround, bars seven and eight, blank.

It is not very instructive to look at chord substitutions in isolation as they have to make sense with a phrase as a whole in my opinion.

In other tunes the options I offered might not sound good with the melody. That is why I sang through them to check that I at enjoyed the results, you will need to do this with each tune so that the chords don't take you away from the melody in a way which undermines the integrity of the tune.

Singing through them also really helps you FEEL the musical effect of your choices. Otherwise it is just maths and no fun.
    AndrewUllet-bird
    edited April 2017 Posts: 462
    Bm7b5
    Bb7b5
    Am
    Adim
    D7/Fsharp
    FMaj 7
    Fm6Maj7
    Cmaj7/E

Also pretty easy to sing over.
    AndrewUlle
  • BonesBones Moderator
    edited April 2017 Posts: 3,319
    Sorry prob a better way to notate this but the first 2 are
    F/A to Fm/Ab

The second 2 are F/C to Fm/C

x
    x
    x

x
    x
    x

-or-

x
    x
    x

x
    x
    x
    AndrewUlle
  • AndrewUlleAndrewUlle Cleveland, OH✭✭✭ Cigano GJ-15
    Thank you for all the suggestions - as soon as I can get near a guitar I will try them all. It makes total sense that you really can't isolate those two chords; the surrounding structure has to flow well with the melody. I knew I would get some real help on this forum.

Cheers!
  • What is the chord before the F and what is the chord after the FM and would the F chords sound OK with 7 or 6/9 voicings or best with triadic as you first describe.
    The Magic really starts to happen when you can play it with your eyes closed
  • AndrewUlleAndrewUlle Cleveland, OH✭✭✭ Cigano GJ-15
    In all of me: 2 measures Dm before F, Fm, then open C, A7 after. In J'Attendrai: C, C7 before, C (one measure each).

I will your suggestions at my next opportunity. Out of town for the weekend.
  • wimwim ChicagoModerator Barault #503 replica
    Be careful with these over the theme, often in these songs the melody chooses to use that minor third note over the 4 chord. In that case then you shouldn't substitute a diminished chord here. Many rhythm players are sloppy with this, and it's annoying because it can clash really badly.
    Carlo Gentenaar