DjangoBooks.com

How to straighten bent tuning peg

constantineconstantine New York✭✭✭✭ Geronimo Mateos
Hi there, I have a set of Schaller tuners and the G string tuning peg is clearly bent. Anyone know of a good way to straighten out? Thanks Dean

Comments

• BonesBones Moderator
    edited June 2017 Posts: 3,319
    Unless it hinders the function I'd just leave it alone. Does it not turn smoothly? I'd be afraid to make it worse by bending it. Probably got banged into something (obviously) since it seems like that one is in the most vulnerable position (i.e. first to make contact with a table or other object). Maybe you can post a picture?

BTW are you talking about the part that the knob is on or the part that the string attaches to?
  • constantineconstantine New York✭✭✭✭ Geronimo Mateos
    Thanks bones..youre right I will just leave it be
  • Post a pic. Depending on which one it is some are not too bad to straighten.
    The Magic really starts to happen when you can play it with your eyes closed
    Thanks jazzaferi , check it out.
  • BonesBones Moderator
    Personally, again, if it works properly (i.e. the gears mesh without binding) I wouldn't try messing with it. You could make it worse by cracking the shaft entirely or damaging the part that the shaft runs thru. Alternatively, if it really bugs you make sure you can buy a new set before you try it and then if it gets destroyed just replace it.
  • The pin on these is pretty heavy. It is possible but one needs to know what tools and how to do it. The basic concepts are the bend must be aligned so the force is applied inward across the headstock. The mounting blocks should be supported by a clamp, the plastic grip removed and a tube that fits closely over the pin used to apply the bending force.

I agree with @Bones that unless you have a fair bit of metal bending/fabricating experience probably best left alone
    The Magic really starts to happen when you can play it with your eyes closed
    Hey thanks guys!
  • Jeff MooreJeff Moore Minneapolis✭✭✭✭ Lebreton 2
    edited June 2017 Posts: 476
    I've had success with brute force (vice grips) but you need to apply the force so the jaws of the vice grit is also acting as a fulcrum right at the offending angle. Also the bending should be on the same plane as the attachment plate of the tuning machine. Also you need be lucky enough to have enough shaft before the tuning peg to get a grip on the shaft.
    If it doesn't "hit you" how to get the "forces" right, don't try it. But its the same way you'd straighten any piece of rod without making a new bend in the rod at the same time. All the energy is applied right at the bend.
    And it still won't be perfect unless your awfully good at it, but you can get most of the bend out. If the shaft is thick (and tapered) like the more modern tuners, there's no way.
    I did this on old harmony guitars with simple and fairly thin rod shafts.
    "We need a radical redistribution of wealth and power" MLK