DjangoBooks.com

String tension and "feel" of GJ guitars change constantly

The "feel" of my guitar (and every GJ guitar I've owned) changes from day to day, even from hour to hour. It seems to be based on the relative humidity and maybe the temperature. I can tell as soon as I check the tuning and give it one strum. Seems like the action may change a bit, but it's almost unmeasurable -- a 5th of a millimeter(!). Sometimes the strings are so loose I can't play smoothly (especially upstrokes). Since the action barely changes, I was wondering if the top becomes flatter when the humidiy drops, and the neck comes up, so that even though the action remains almost the same, the "break angle" over the bridge decreases. If that's what's happening, the strings might have a looser feel because they slide over the bridge when they're played, making them too "sloppy." No other guitar seems to have this issue for me.

Also wondering if skme GJ guitars seem to be more "stable" than others? If this theory is correct, maybe those with a greater break angle over the bridge.

Comments

• AndrewUlleAndrewUlle Cleveland, OH✭✭✭ Cigano GJ-15
    I always thought it was just my poor skills that were inconsistent. LOL
    alton
  • altonalton Keene, NH✭✭ 2000 Dell'Arte Long Scale Anouman, Gadjo Modele Francais, Gitane DG-330 John Jorgensen Tuxedo
    I always thought it was just my poor skills that were inconsistent. LOL
    Same here!
  • Stable guitars live in stable relative humidity environments. For the rest of them, they change as the RH changes
    The Magic really starts to happen when you can play it with your eyes closed
  • BonesBones Moderator
    Try a case humidifier if you live in a dry area and use a hygrometer to check the RH of your room/house.
    MichaelHorowitz